Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Pestos! Pestos! Pestos!

So with all the greens I've gotten from my CSA and my garden, I've had to think of ways to eat them. I mean, yes, you can steam or saute them or have them in salads but after a while you want something new. Or I want something new.

I had heard somewhere that you could make a decent pesto from them and I wanted to give it a whirl. And you know what? Greens make for a great pesto!

I did it first with spinach. I used spinach, garlic, a handful of chopped walnuts, and olive oil (and a little water since I used a mini blender). It was creamy and flavorful and a treat. I made it twice--once for me, and once for me and Garden Dude, my neighbor.

Then I got my CSA share. That included spinach and kale. Hmmmm, I thought. I know spinach makes for a nice pesto but what about kale. . .?

Well, here's the news: Kake makes a freaking fantastic pesto. Honestly, I don't know why people stick kale in soups. You can make a kimchi like thing with it. You can saute it. You can make it into chips. You can throw it into a smoothie if you have the right kind of blender. It's pretty darn good in salads. And in pesto it's sublime. The slight bitterness with the pungency of garlic and the floral notes of olive oil make it a wonderfully simple to make yet complex-tasting dish.

And here's the great thing about pestos: You don't have to eat them on pasta. They are good for sandwich spreads. They are nice on fish or beans (paired with more greens on the side because come on people, eat your greens). Pestos add some color and punch to skillet meals like pilafs. I'll bet you could put some in a soup (I haven't tried this yet but I will.) Put some on omelettes or scrambled eggs. They dress up a baked potato or a nice sauce for a casserole (I'm thinking of a recipe I saw for a potato casserole with pesto).

1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete