Monday, June 13, 2016

An open letter to the fundamentalist Christians who are screaming about ISIS after Orlando

Hi! You all have been posting up a storm about ISIS, and a mean, craptastic Imam who advocated death for gays. You all have been sounding the horns about the Islamic threat and offering thoughts, prayers, and moments of silence for the lesbian, bisexual, gay, and trans people who were murdered at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, FL.

I have a request: Put the rock down and tend to your own glass house.

I do not want to hear any more people dragging Muslims. I have heard things about the guy who did it and I don't know what is true or how accurate it is. I have heard that he pledged his life to ISIS (a group that most Muslims despise). I have heard that he was as Muslim as I was Catholic-ostensibly so, by birth, but not particularly devout. I know this: the rhetoric he heard about LBGT people, the attitude he held towards them, was parroted and echoed among ostensible Christians.

But that's not fair! I have heard people (including relatives) cry out. We don't consider people like the Westboro Baptist Church real Christians. Yeah? Most Muslims don't consider ISIS to be real Muslims, yet there you were, loud and wrong, on social media, talking about how "they" like to throw "people" (or maybe "gays" if you're feeling like acknowledging that) off of buildings. In the areas ISIS took over.

What I don't hear is any acknowledgement of major figures in conservative Christian circles--respectable figures, figures who can count Senators and Representatives as friends--as helping to write the Kill The Gays law in Uganda. Ted Cruz, Mike Huckabee (who has an unearned reputation for being a nice guy), and Bobby Jindal spoke at a conference headed by a pastor who advocated for the execution of LBGT people. They did this as Republican Presidential candidates. They were proud to be at a conference where the head of the conference openly advocated for this.

Think about that. Golly, I wonder where the idea that it was okay to kill people at a gay club came from? Maybe stop freaking out about Muslim imams who say these things and look at the other Christians who preach and support these same attitudes.

Motes, beams, and eyes.

And you'll protest. Oh, you say, I don't have a hateful bone in my body! I don't hate anyone! 

Right, but you're indifferent enough that you either don't know or don't care that well-known pastors, who are considered to be quite respectable in conservative Christian circles-advocate for this garbage.

Maybe you don't hate anyone but you want your gay teen sent to a camp to be reeducated as a straight person. Because you love the sinner but hate the sin. Except that your gay teen is learning that if they are not conforming to what you think they should be, you will not love them. You will reject them. You will hurt them.

Maybe you don't hate anyone but you think same sex couples shouldn't marry, that they are somehow a threat to your own marriage or marriage in general. And if that means they don't have the same legal protections that you have, well, that's just tough. It's only a piece of paper, you'll say, though you'd be outraged if you hadn't had the legal right to marry your spouse. Spouses have legal protections that common-law partners do not. Ask anyone who was kicked out of the house they lived in with their partner until their partner died. Ask anyone whose partner was in the hospital. 

Maybe you don't hate anyone but you think that same sex couples should not adopt children. You don't hate them but they are obviously sick and disordered and will hurt the children. You are filled with love! So much love that you'd keep a couple from adopting a child simply because they were both of the same gender.

Maybe you don't hate anyone but you think trans people should use the bathroom of the sex they were assigned at birth. After all, men will assault women in the women's room, right? Let's forget that actually, these are women who were born in the wrong body--yes, it's a thing, and yes, I believe them. Let's also forget that when women are sexually assaulted, many people will tell us we were asking for it by making bad choices, lecture us about dressing modestly, and assert that men are sex-crazed hosebeasts who cannot control their urges. And that makes me think men shouldn't be allowed out of the house if it's true but that's another post. 

You don't hate anybody but you are convinced that gays molest children (while shrugging off, covering up, and excusing actual child molesters). You don't hate anybody but you are convinced that gays are an abomination. You don't hate anybody but you nod along while the pastor in your church talks about the sins of homosexuality and how you have to fight against things like their right to marry. You don't hate anybody but you don't want that gay couple living in your neighborhood. You don't hate anybody but you think gays are sick and disordered.

A conservative fundamentalist imam says the same thing, and suddenly you all are outraged. Well, save your crocodile tears, you aren't fooling anyone. And might I remind you, that the majority of men who have done this have been white and have been ostensibly Christian. George Sodhini. Eric Rudolph. Dylan Roof. Charles Roberts IV. Adam Lanza. John Salvi.

I don't care about love or hate. I care about the fact that militant fundamentalist Christians in this country have been just fine with dragging LBGT people, working to erode their rights, and promoting horrific violence against them based on the Bible. You don't get to ignore that. You don't. And you don't get to ignore the other atrocities here, committed by mainly white men, mainly men who were Christian. Who called themselves Christians. 

I wasn't surprised by Orlando. We have had too many of these crimes for me to be surprised. I'm disgusted and I'm angry and I am really, really tired of the manufactured outrage some of you in my feeds, in my life, have ginned up against Muslims when your own are not any better.

Save your thoughts and prayers. Instead, just do better. 



4 comments:

  1. Goodness! Tend to agree with much of what you say, as I suspect will many of your British followers.
    Gill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! This rant could have been longer if I even touched gun control and how it's sorely lacking here. Another post, I suppose. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! strong words there. Here in the UK you will find similar attitudes to what you've written about. I like to make up my own mind when I meet people and take as I find and hope my daughter will do the same.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! strong words there. Here in the UK you will find similar attitudes to what you've written about. I like to make up my own mind when I meet people and take as I find and hope my daughter will do the same.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete