Thursday, May 7, 2015

Starting the garden

Bright Lights Chard
Yeah, it's a little early I admit but I wanted to get at least one of the beds planted with seeds and seedlings that are okay with cooler weather but can deal well with hot weather. So last weekend I spent the better part of an afternoon planting in one of the beds.

I put garlic at either end. I lost the garlic I planted in the fall but dang it I WILL HAVE GARLIC BY AUGUST OR I WILL HAVE DEATH. Or. . .um. . .store bought garlic. Okay.

I also planted beets (red and golden), carrots (orange and purple haze, which are purple on the outside and have an orange center), radishes, and bush beans, all from seed, and we'll see how those go. I'm a little nervous but I can always plant more seeds if these don't take.

New Zealand Spinach
I found bright lights chard seedlings and New Zealand spinach seedlings. I was especially excited about the New Zealand spinach; it's a plant that is not actually spinach, but tastes like it. It does well in the heat (unlike spinach, which bolts and goes to seed). You can pick leaves and leave the plant to keep growing, much like chard and unlike regular spinach. So this will be an adventure.

I'm hoping that they do okay over the next few weeks. I want to keep them from getting wilted and die from thirst but also want to be mindful of the temperature. It's colder here where I live as opposed to in Boston. There's a 10 degree difference in temperature. If they don't take I can more seedlings. By the end of the summer, the difference will still be there but it will have flipped and we'll be warmer. Weird, I know.

Chocolate mint. 
Other things I'm hoping to plant: tomatoes (of course), sweet and hot peppers, maybe some shallots, eggplant, butternut squash, zucchini, and summer squash. At the end of August I'll plant turnips. Fingers crossed, I'll have some decent crops.

My chocolate mint and my regular mint is coming back. And my thyme is back. I'll add basil, tarragon, rosemary, and possibly pineapple sage to the herb bed.

My walking onions are back and marching on my garden bed and spreading along the side of the house where I planted them. Yes, they make for good border plants but the do spread like wildfire. Or like weeds. They may be technically a weed but a delicious one.

Thyme and Walking Onions.
Then again, dandelions, which we consider weeds, were brought here by Europeans because every part of that indestructible plant is edible. Really, do you want to plant things that need lots of babying or do you want to grow things that can take some hard times and thrive? I know what I'd bet my money on. (No, I'm not planting dandelions, I have got plenty in the yard!)

No comments:

Post a Comment