Monday, March 3, 2014

Good news

Yes, I have some good news!

First, the house is all repaired.  All that is left to do is to get the town inspector to come and sign off on the permit, which should be done tomorrow.  Then I will have to bribe my friends into helping me move my bedroom furniture into the newly-repaired master bedroom.  Hooray!

Second, I got a job! It's a long commute away but the good thing is, I don't have to drive much. I drive 11 miles to the bus. From the bus I take the subway, which is a giant pain, but the bus is relaxing and I get a lot of reading done. Also, it seems like a great place to work so far.  I have a nice boss, great coworkers, and the place has fantastic benefits.  Also, I think I'm going to learn a lot.

I have to say, I am very, very lucky to have the people in my life that I do.  My friends and colleagues (and my old boss) rallied right around me when I got laid off and helped me--they sent me job leads, connected me with people who connected me with other people, and basically through them I was able to get interviews and job offers.  I am deeply, deeply grateful.

Also, with the house thing--well, I have a carpenter friend who painted the inside and tore up the grungy carpet for me (and wouldn't take money outside of materials, despite my numerous attempts to pay him).  He put me in touch with a good contractor who was able to fix the house after the car hit it, and this contractor has been a gem.  He's done some extra things around the house as well and is basically a good guy.

You know the saying that bad things come in threes? Well, I've decided that good things come in tens.

(They don't, really, anymore than bad things happen in threes, but we're so good at looking for patterns and finding them, and confirming our own biases that I figured confirming a happy bias would be a good thing.)

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations. Sounds like things are looking up for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that you found a job and that life is settling down.

    ReplyDelete