Monday, July 1, 2013

Chicken with Tarragon, Mustard, and Cream

It's been hot, rainy, and muggy these days where I live.  I couldn't hang my clothes up outside, so I hung them inside on the clothes rack.  After three days, they were still damp; I threw them in the drier for 15 minutes before they mildewed on me.

That kind of weather is not conducive to cooking.  Too hot, too muggy to stand over a stove or turn on the oven.  Unless you use your slow cooker, that is.

I had friends over on Saturday.  This is what I made (recipe from The French Slow Cooker).

Chicken with Tarragon, Mustard, and Cream

1/2 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
8-12 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus more for garnish
1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon, plus more for garnish
1/3 cup heavy cream

Pour broth and vinegar into a large slow cooker.  Stir mustard with salt and pepper to taste.  Brush the chicken all over with the seasoned mustard.  Arrange the chicken pieces in the slow cooker, overlapping them slightly.  Sprinkle with the garlic, parsley, and tarragon.

Cover and cook on low for 5 hours, or until the chicken is tender and cooked through.

Remove chicken to a serving plate and cover to keep warm.  Strain the pan juices into a saucepan and skim off the excess fat.  Bring juices to a simmer over high heat.  Stir in the cream and return to a simmer.  Taste for seasoning.  Pour the sauce over the chicken.  Sprinkle with the chopped fresh herbs and serve hot.

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, that sounds yum-o. I don't have tarragon--do you have any substitution ideas for that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris, I noticed that tarragon has a slightly liquorice scent to it, so maybe you could use fennel fronds or crushed fennel seeds in place of the tarragon. (The fronds if you want a garnish, for sure.)

      Delete
  2. If you turn on a ceiling fan or turn a fan of the clothes, they will dry. I hang things in the bathroom door and turn on the ceiling fan. Those clothes dry faster than ones I hang in another doorway.

    Thanks for the link to my blog!

    I can taste that chicken!

    ReplyDelete