Monday, June 3, 2013

Gardening news

I planted the garden with my garden partner the weekend before last, and I felt it for the rest of the week! My entire lower half was sore, and I was so stiff that I walked like a zombie.  But the garden was planted.  This is what me and my garden partner are trying this year:

Tomatoes (roma, celebrity, cherry, and a mystery plant or two)
Peppers (red bell, cayenne, jalapeno)
Basil
Pole beans (on poles)
Watermelon (on a trellis--it's a smaller variety)
Cantaloupe (on a trellis)
Cucumber (on a trellis)
Butternut squash (on a trellis)
Eggplant
Patty-pan squash
Swiss chard
Beets
Garlic (planted in the fall)
Shallots (planted in the fall)
Leeks
Nasturtiums
Lavender


Annuals or plants that survived the winter:
Rhubarb
Mint (wow, did it ever survive. . .and thrive!)
Rosemary
Lemon verbena
Thyme
Parsley
Walking onions
Sage

What I planted in the plot at my rental house:
Tomatoes
Basil
Tarragon
Peppers (cayenne and jalapeno)
Rosemary
Thyme
Oregano
Chard
Nasturtiums
Mint (in a pot)
Chocolate mint (in a pot)

I mulched this past weekend and saw that we lost a couple of tomato plants and a melon plant. So I'll have to replace those.  One of the other gardeners offered a couple of large tomato plants, which I accepted, but I'm not sure how one of them is doing.  Ah, well. It's always an adventure!

4 comments:

  1. What are walking onions? My husband plants winter onions. Wonder if they are the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are Walking Onions (also known as Egyptian Onions): http://www.egyptianwalkingonion.com/

      Delete
  2. Thanks! I think that's what we have. I've never seen one flower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prepare for the worst, but hope for the best. I lost almost all my cucumber plants to slugs already. I've re-seeded, but I don't know if it's too late or not.

    ReplyDelete