Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Soy and lemon fish with mushrooms and wild onion

Last week was the final week of the CSA fish share my friend and I had.  We might do the next round (still undecided).  I certainly have eaten well.

My friend was all booked up last week and simply wasn't going to be around to eat the fish. Not to get together and cook a big meal, not to even take half and make something--she had stuff going on every evening and weekend day.  She told me to take the fish and enjoy it, which I did.  Our share was yellowtail flounder and pollock.  The yellowtail flounder dish turned out to be a big fail (here's a tip: do not smother fish in cilantro base, just a little is sufficient).  The pollock dish I made was a success, however.

This is what I did:

The humble wild onion.
First, there are wild onions growing all throughout my yard.  They are everywhere--in my parent's and sister's yard, in my garden plot, everywhere. Well, they are edible, and they are tasty, so why not? I pulled a few bulbs out of the ground, washed them well, chopped the bulbs and minced part of the tops.  I tossed this into a shallow porcelain baking dish that was lightly oiled. I sprinkled pepper on both sides of the fish, placed it in the dish, and put a generous amount of powdered ginger and garlic on the fish.  I added a splash (about 1-2 tablespoons) of soy sauce and lemon juice. 

While the oven was preheating (I set it to 400 degrees), I soaked the last of my dried mushrooms in hot water; once they were soft I added them and a tablespoon of the stock to the dish.  I also added some long fronds of the wild onion tops. I covered it and baked it for about 20 minutes, until the fish flaked easily with a fork.  I added a few more onion tops for a garnish.

I ate it with short-grain rice and spinach. It was delicious. The sauce would also make it good for a lo-mien style stir-fry the next day for leftovers.


2 comments:

  1. I've been trying to prepare and eat more seafood in our house. I'm just not a fan of it, so this is difficult for me. But the dried mushrooms, onions and seasonings might be enough to disguise the flavor. Pollock is supposed to be a mild fish, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I found it to be quite mild. Tilapia is also mild, as is haddock.


      I also really like salmon; you can grill it with an orange marmalade glaze, cook it in the slow cooker with tomatoes and mint, or poach it in lemon and white wine with a yogurt dill sauce (really nice hot or cold).

      Delete