Thursday, March 28, 2013

Crustless quiche in the slow cooker--near FAIL

Still tasted good.
Yes, the near fails keep on coming.

That brunch I had included a main course, and I thought a quiche would do it nicely.  I have the cookbook The French Slow Cooker, which is a good guide for people who want to use their slow cookers to make homestyle French food (not the fancy dishes you would get in a restaurant, but what you'd get from a good home cook in France).  Think cassoulet and leek and potato soup, not escargot.

So. I made the quiche, and I used the very best ingredients.  Here is what I did.

Ingredients:
6 large eggs
2 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp nutmeg
Freshly ground pepper
1 cup half-and-half
1 up whole milk
3 cups chopped, cooked, well-drained vegetables (I used spinach and mushrooms)
2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon or basil (I didn't have fresh so I used ground thyme instead)
1 cut grated Gruyere, Emmental, Gouda, or cheddar chese
1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

Butter the slow cooker insert.

Beat the eggs with the flour, salt, nutmeg and pepper to taste.  If you follow the recipe, this is when you whish in the half-and-half and milk.  If you are ME, completely forget to do this.  Stir in the broccoli, herbs, Gruyere, and 1/2 cup of the Parmesan.  Pour mixture into slow cooker.  Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan on top.  Cover and cook on high for 1 1/2 hours, or until the quiche is just set in the center.  Run a knife around the edge of the quiche, cut into wedges, and serve hot.

After you eat it, realize you totally forgot to add the milk and half-and-half.  Remind your guests that the good news is that the quiche is actually much lower in fat this way.

(It was still good.)

4 comments:

  1. I would assume if you remember to add the milk and half and half, it would take longer to cook in the slow cooker? LOL I forget to add things sometimes in my DUH moments or distracted, or in a rush LOL glad it still turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It still looks good! And actually, I may like it better without the milk. Sometimes quiches taste like milky eggs to me. Yours would have tasted more of the herbs, veggies and cheeses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the last part about forgetting to put in the milk. LoL sounds a bit like my cooking style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it. And if you're me - that's the point when Mr. PoP says he loves it, and if you ever make it any other way (ie how it's meant to be!) he won't like it. So you must remember the "adjustments". =)

    ReplyDelete