Tuesday, March 19, 2013

A quick update

I was in the throes of house-hunting.  I even found a house (two, actually) that I wanted to buy, but they each needed a lot of work, and I offered much less than the asking price.  I will write a post about that whole thing.  All I'll say for now is that neither seller went for it.  The first one may have come down to $20K more than I was comfortable spending, but I'd have to spend $15K-$20K to fix the damage in the house.  So, I continue to rent in my lovely little house near the town center and only seven minutes away from work, and I'll keep looking.  In one way, my options have expanded in that I can think about going for a short sale now (those take forever to come through).

Work has been very busy, which is good for job security.

I have been reading a lot of books, and they have irritated me no end.  Well, not all of them, but two of them.  Maybe I've had my fill of "I will try to do this impossible thing for a month/a year and then write a book about it" stunt.  I'll review them at one point but I have to stop throwing them across the room in frustration and surliness.  Here are two tips, one inspired by each book: If you set out to prove that something is stupid, you will do everything you shouldn't do and prove yourself right.  And if you chirp on and on about how easy it is to spend $30 for a free-range chicken and everyone should do it, you're showing everyone around you that you're a clueless dolt.

How have you all been?


10 comments:

  1. House hunting can be frustrating. Good for you for knowing what is realistic for you to afford and sticking with it. Do you enjoy fix-it-up projects, cuz really, I hate them, but you can get a better deal if you are willing to do some of your own work, that's for sure. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris, it really depends on what needs to be fixed up. I'm leery of them in that there are invariably more issues than originally thought but. . .it is a good way to get a "better" house, and in my price range, it's going to be the way I can get into a house. I do have a friend who's works in construction and he's given me some good advice/perspective on the whole thing.

      Delete
  2. House hunting -- I'm torn in how I feel about the whole process. On the one hand I love to dream about the possibilities, but on the other hand, the whole negotiating, closing, packing up stuff is a lot of worry and work. Good luck finding just the right place. At least for you, being single, you aren't trying to rush into something so you can get kids enrolled in school for next fall. You can just take your time. It does kind of make planting a garden in your yard more problematic, if you think you'll move mid-summer. But you still have a plot at your work, right?

    Life is busy this month for me, 4 spring birthdays, taxes, planting the garden and Easter. I was unable to get much done last week, and now am playing catch-up. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a plot at work that I still use, and at my rental (a small one that I'll use for herbs), so that's good. Also my landlords (friends of mine) are great people.

      Delete
  3. Ohhhhhhhhhh.............I love house hunting. I hope you find something that you like!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of you when I was looking--I know how much you like looking at houses!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I saw your post on what you're reading. I've never read the Discworld series in order! I should try that. :)

      Delete
  5. At least you have time on your side. You're not down to your last dollar, rushing to buy a house before you run out of rent money! Frugality gives us more options in most things in life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've definitely got a plan in place, and if I get a fixer-upper, I can stay here while I fix it up. But as I said to Kris, it depends on what needs to be fixed. Something that is this close to a teardown is not what I want.

      Delete