Thursday, February 28, 2013

Junk mail and other marketing follies

Picture from Cheezeburger.com
Corporate World, Inc. cracks me up.  They can't keep track of who their customers are, who their prospects are, and what works.

I joined a service a couple of months ago, and cancelled it on the same day.  It's a long story, but suffice it to say that it turned out it didn't cover the area I was intending to eventually move to unless I increased my membership.  I asked for help, and the man I spoke to tried very hard to help me, but being based in a completely different part of the country, he kept putting me in the service area of another state that had a town of the same name (no matter how often I tried to tell him that no, it was actually FamousTown Massachusetts not SameTownName, Rhode Island.).  So I called to quit  the service.  The person I spoke with was very polite when I asked her to cancel my service (which I had signed up for that day) and issue a credit to my credit card.  She went through her computer, I heard her key in some codes, and she said, "So, I've taken you off automatic renewal.  Is there anything else I can do for you today?"

"I would like my account--which I signed up for today--cancelled and a full refund issued," I said, trying very hard to not lose my temper.  Perhaps she had misunderstood me the first time.  Perhaps the higher-ups tell them to misunderstand things this way in the hopes they can still hang on to some money for a little while.

"Oh! Sure, I can do that," she said and she cancelled the account and credited my card.

Now. I would have forgotten all about this, but guess which company is bombarding me with emails and junk mail? We're so happy to have you! Here are some special deals (for a service area you were not interested in).  Can you take this survey? Hey, we haven't heard back from you! Hey! HEY. HEY. HERE IS SOME PAPER JUNK MAIL BECAUSE WE DON'T THINK YOU'RE PAYING ENOUGH ATTENTION.

Now, I hit delete on the emails (and have marked them as spam).  The junk mail--I just toss it into the recycling bin at the post office.  But I have to laugh.  Right hand, please meet left hand.  Keep each other apprised of what you are doing.

3 comments:

  1. Argh, I hate junk mail - such a waste of paper! We have two carrier bags full from the past couple of weeks! It's mainly advertising, free newspapers, that sort of thing, but because our front door leads to three flats, they stick a big wad of adverts through the door! Guess it's too hard to count to three.. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I recieve junk mail addressed to me with a return envelope enclosed, I fold up the junk and write on it "No thank you" and place it all into the return envelope and pop it back into the post. The rest goes into recycling.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep getting letters from my old cable company. Sure, now that I'm no longer a customer they want me. However, when I was a customer they didn't want to try and keep me. It makes no sense to loose a customer and then come back to them begging.

    ReplyDelete