Friday, February 8, 2013

Friday blogaround: the snowpocalypse edition

Nothing has fallen out of the sky yet and we had no power this morning.  It came back on in an hour (and I called the electric company to let them know about the outage). Remember this post? Well, one thing that's occurred to me is that our homes are built for the modern age.  It's not like I have a wood stove.  I have flashlights, etc. but a long term power outage would just be awful. 

Which brings me to my next point: It is neither a sign of weakness nor hysteria to listen to the weather forecast and take things seriously.  I spent part of my childhood in upstate New York, a place where several feet of snow was normal.  That doesn't mean that you shrug this stuff off.  If you actually live in an area where this is common, do not sneer at other people who are concerned and taking steps.  You actually might want to take a page out of their book.  Because even if you're used to lots of snow? If your power goes out for a long period of time, that could mess with you.  Let's not be arrogant.

CTMOM is prepared.

Savvy Shopper is also prepared.

LifeHacker has preps for all kinds of emergencies/disasters.  I knew what I should do during an earthquake, but I'll admit: they freaked me right out when I lived in Japan. I knew it was time for me to head home when the words, "Go back to sleep, it's just an earthquake" came out of my mouth.  As in, I sat up and thought, "OH MY GOD IT'S AN EARTHQUAKE. It was a small one BUT IT WAS AN EARTHQUAKE I AM FROM A PLACE THAT DOESN'T HAVE THEM.  THE EARTH IS NOT SUPPOSED TO DO THIS THIS IS WRONG WRONG WRONG I SHOULD NOT BE USED TO THIS."

(Small earthquakes are actually quite common in Japan.  I was not there for any big ones.)

Some tips on how to live without electricity.  

Once the blizzard is over, have some fun in the snow.  But wait until the storm is over, please.  Whiteout conditions are no joke, and dying because you wanted to play in a blizzard would make you eligible for a Darwin Award.


1 comment:

  1. I'm in CA and there's not a whole lot you can do to prep for an earthquake other than make sure all your fragile stuff is tacked down and you've got an emergency kit on hand. I'm not a huge fan of open shelving in kitchens because of where I live. Who wants broken dishes all over the floor lol? I have huge sympathy for all of you in the east with the crazy storms you've been having lately. I cannot imagine getting that much rain/snow, and facing the possibility of being without power for days at a time. Makes me think all those survivalist people aren't nearly as crazy as I thought!

    ReplyDelete