Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Carrot Cake Jam

Canning season is never quite over for me.  I can stocks because they're easier to use out of a jar than waiting to defrost.  And sometimes I still make things like jams and jellies because I have guests over or I want to have something in hand to give my hosts when I go to someone's house.

The thing is, you don't need fresh fruit to make jam.  You can make this delicious jam, which is tasty, uses carrots, and is very different from the usual fare of blueberries, blackberries, strawberries or raspberries (not that there's anything wrong with those!). 

I got the recipe from this book, and I highly recommend it.  There are all kinds of new and interesting recipes in there.  This recipe makes about 7 half pints.  It's quite good on toast or a cracker with cream cheese, and it's also tasty on plain scones or bagels.

You will need:

2 cups of finely shredded carrots (about 4 medium)
1 cup finely chopped, peeled pear (1 medium)
1 15-ounce can of crushed pineapple (juice pack), undrained
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1.75 ounce package regular powdered fruit pectin
4 cups granulated sugar
2 cups packed brown sugar
1/4 cup flaked coconut or raisins (optional--I didn't use either and it turned out fine)
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a 4- to -6quart heavy pot, combine carrots, pear, pineapple with juice, lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Bring to boiling, stirring constantly, remove from heat.  Sprinkle mixture with pectin and stir until it dissolves.

Bring to boiling again, stirring constantly.  Add granulated and brown sugar.  Return to a full rolling boil; boil for one minute, and keep stirring (you don't want this to scorch or burn).  Remove from heat.  Skim off foam with a metal spoon.  Stir in vanilla and if using, coconut or raisins. 

Ladle jam into hot, sterilized half-pint canning jars, leaving a 1/4 inch headspace.  Wipe jar rims; adjust lids.  Process jars in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes (start timing when the water returns to a full boil).  Remove jars from canner and cool on wire racks.

6 comments:

  1. I've never heard of a jam with carrots in it! But judging by the other ingredients listed, it must be good. Thanks for the new recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds delicious! I'm kind of scared of canning myself, but one of these days I'm going to study up on it and give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was nervous about canning at first, but I started with pickles and salsa, did jams and jellies, and when I got my hands on a pressure canner was able to do things like stock, meat and vegetables (non-pickled). Ball Canning Guides are the best!

      Delete
  3. That looks delicious!!!!!!!!!!!! I love carrot cake =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrot jam sounds unusual but tasty. I think I'm ready to branch out from the usual fruit jams, so might give this a go :)

    ReplyDelete