Wednesday, January 9, 2013

My sewing trainwreck

So, my project has been. . .interesting.  In the off sense of the word.

First, it had been a while since I used my sewing machine (moving and working a lot will do that) and so I had to reacquaint myself with it.

Second, I am very bad at sewing straight lines.  Or, I should say, they are straight (they don't curve or anything like that), but they are more diagonal.  So a 1/4" hem goes from 1/4" to 1/8".

Third, in my last sewing class, I showed a talent for breaking needles.  I still don't know how I got that particular superpower.

Also? My thread got stuck in the bobbin housing and I couldn't get it out.  My sewing teacher was able to.

Sigh.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, if your hem gets smaller, just start again at the other end. It doesn't matter as no-one will see it!

    I used to break needles. I think my problem was that I was pulling the material rather than just letting it run through the machine.

    Also also, I get my thread stuck in the machine often!

    It's a pretty fun hobby though. I want to make something exciting. What're you making?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was trying to make an apron. I'm still going to try to complete it--the material is really pretty--but I think I'm just going to practice using the machine for now!

      Delete
  2. If you cannot follow the marks on your machine, tape a piece of paper to the right side of the needle on the bed of the machine. Measure from the needle to see where the paper should go. Quit watching the needle. Watch the right edge of the material. Sometimes, I have sewn for hours and never looked at the needle. It is like driving a car--there are many things to stay aware of while sewing.

    You need to practice this skill on scraps, even rounded scraps.

    You are pulling the material. The feed dog does this quite well. You do need to keep a certain tension. One day you could cause a very expensive problem to the innards of your machine.

    You can get the thread out of the bobbin or bobbin holder. Go slowly, use tweezers, finesse, and snips to get the thread out bit by bit. Once you get all the thread out, remove the shuttlecock and see if you can see any loose, tiny shred of thread.

    The best thing is to learn how to not do all these frustrating things. Learn why these things are happening. Make sure you are not sewing over a wad of threads when you start sewing. Stop the needle in the up position or tur the wheel until it is up.

    Good luck. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete