Thursday, January 31, 2013

Dessert FAIL

This is what happens when you don't actually check your measurements.

Let me back up.

I had some friends over for dinner on Sunday.  I made this fish dish for them, as it's easy, the broth is great for dunking crusty bread in, and it's healthful.  But I needed a dessert.

I had rhubarb in my freezer from my garden.  I thought I'd make a pie, forgetting that pie crusts and I are not friends.  I made one pie successfully, and that was after attempting the crust three times.  I was not successful this time--I tried to roll the dough onto the pin to bring it over the pie plate, and it would split and break.  I'd have a patchwork pie at that point and it wouldn't cook well.

So I figured I'd make rhubarb crisp.  I had a recipe for apple crisp and I thought I'd just use the rhubarb in the apple's place.  And it all was going so well, except that it called for a half a cup of butter.

Half a cup, not half a stick.

By the time I realized what I did wrong, it was almost done and had dry flour patches on the top.  So I took another stick of butter, cut it into small cubes, and dotted it on top of the crumble and let it bake.  As you can see, that was a bad choice.  I went from "dry flour patches" to "greasy butter puddles."  Why yes, I think my future as a baker is assured, if your aim is to torture your guests.

So I ran to the shops and got some frozen apple blossoms (little individual pies/tarts) and baked them for my friends.  They were quite good.  When they complimented me, I said "I bought them myself."

I guess I'll have to take a weekend to practice making pie crusts.

5 comments:

  1. I need to take a weekend to try pie crusts as well. lol
    Did you taste the dessert? It looks like it would taste good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pamela,
    You're to be congratulated for your attempts to fix the crisp. That whole 1/2 cup is one stick with butter always gets me, too. I'm constantly asking one of my daughters, "so how much is a stick of butter?", and I'm the one who should know, right?! It would be easier if we baked as they do most everywhere else, and weighed things.

    I've never been able to do the pie crust onto a rolling pin thing. I fold my crusts into quarters on the counter and lift them into a pie plate that way. And that seems to work for me. It also helps that I use a recipe for pie crust that's name is "No-fail pie pastry".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still would eat the crisp. But I'll gobble up anything rhubarb. Whipped topping solves many kitchen goofs. Just call it a parfait.

    My mom is a great pie baker and I could never get the pie crust right, either, including the rolling-it-on-the-pin thing. My MIL introduced me to oil crusts--the recipe is in my Betty Crocker circa, I dunno, 1980-something. You mix it up, roll it between 2 pieces of wax paper, lift the top paper off, use the bottom one to flip it into your pie tin--success! Sometimes I even cut out leaf shapes but I can't manage the lattice tops. It bakes up very light and tender. Oil crusts don't last as long as Crisco crusts (best eaten within 1-2 days) but I feel marginally less guilty about them since canola oil is better for you than Crisco or butter. Heart-healthy fats plus fruit! Must be fantastic for your body, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo, weird! Never heard of rhubard going in anything except crumble. (I think that's why rhubard was invented! :D)

    I totally would have tried your method to save it too! Sorry it didn't work! Still, I am sure everyone was impressed with the fish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good save!

    I've got some wonderful crust recipes if you would like them. Also, the Cook's Country video series has a really good crust-making segment to one of their shows. You probably could get it at your local library!

    ReplyDelete