Wednesday, November 14, 2012

I'm back!

Wow, it's been a wild and wooly couple of weeks.

The move went well.  I hired movers--my friend offered to help but honestly, I am at the age (as are my friends) where moving large pieces of furniture and trying to maneuver a rental truck would be cumbersome, back-wrecking, and time consuming.  I figured I'd spend the money and have professionals do it.  I am not exaggerating when I say this was the best cash I have ever spent! 

Two of the three movers bickered like an old married couple.  It was funny.  One of them was a little bossy but I was glad of it because he didn't skimp on things like padded quilts to wrap around furniture, etc.  I was moved out of my place and moved into my new place by the afternoon.  They were even able to strap my deep freeze with the food in it and move it as my place is just a little over an hour away.  So that was good.

My cat did not like the trip but she seems to like the house I'm renting.  Heck, I like the house I'm renting.  It started its life as a cottage, was winterized and had a second floor with one room added on, and the landlords are friends of mine.  It has a small yard, a holly tree, is within walking distance to the town center, fifteen minutes away by foot to the beach, and ten minutes by car to work.  The dining room has a china cabinet with glass doors; that's where I put my dishware.  I left some things packed in boxes--I plan to only live here for six months (that's how long the lease is for) while I look for a new place to buy.  So I don't want to unpack things that I'll only use once or twice--I'll make do for six months and save some trouble packing.

Closing the sale on my condo was a nightmare.  Hurricane Sandy hit beforehand (and I got a call from the lender's attorney wanting to know why I couldn't print and scan/fax something over to him when everything was closed due to the hurricane.  Hey, sparky, you look out your window yet today??)  Let's just say that I was vindicated in pushing to fire our old management company (oh. my. profane. demons.) Let's also say that the lender's attorney had a requirement that other attorneys said, somewhat diplomatically, were highly irregular.  (He eventually dropped the requirement since it could have nuked the deal.)  We closed, later than originally planned, but we did close.

But it's over.  And I'm happy about this.  My poor attorney more than earned her keep with this one.  Yikes.


Weather-wise--well, I was worried because of Sandy.  I thought we'd get flooding from tidal surges, but we were okay.  I didn't even lose power, and there were branches down (one road was impassible because of branches, etc.).  Other people did lose power but got it back.  Then came the next night, when there was a cloudburst that did more damage in my neighborhood than the hurricane.  I lost power for eight hours and there were a bunch of trees down.  Exciting times! Then we had a Nor'easter which was also exciting--I got to drive to my old town to fill out paperwork that night, and when I drove back the next day for the closing, I saw it had snowed.  (It doesn't snow much where I'm living, as the ocean keeps the air just warm enough to turn it to rain.)

We got off lucky though--I have been shuddering over what they're dealing with in New York and New Jersey.  Ugh.

And of course, I voted.  I was happy to see a line.  There should be lines for every election.  

You'd think I'd be blogging like a madwoman what with all this newfound time with a shorter commute, but I do not have cable (I may get internet, we'll see) and so use the library and WiFi hotspot.  I'm sorry, but my last cable bundle bill was $160 for TV, phone, and internet.  TV basically features reality shows with rich people fighting over stupid things, the phone I use but I could (and did) get a cheaper deal away from cable and the internet was getting slow considering how much I was paying.  It wasn't worth it to me. 

Okay, that's what I've been up to.  I hope you've all been well.  I will catch up on my blog reading--I have been terribly remiss and I'm sorry I just dropped off the radar.  I did make some delicious dishes and will soon write a post waxing poetic about my friend's honey and my other friends pumpkin rolls.  Also, last night, I met a woman who spins her own yarn.  She spins her own yarn! I cannot even.

10 comments:

  1. So glad you are back, Pamela. I've missed you and your blog posts. Sorry to hear the closing on your condo was a nightmare. Your new rental sounds cozy for now. Best wishes on house hunting for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! (Your meals on your blog sound delicious, BTW.)

      Delete
  2. Welcome back! (ok, that phrase always makes me think of the theme song to Welcome Back, Kotter ... I am aging myself, aren't I?). Moving is crazy and difficult and disruptive and I'm glad I haven't had to do it for several years. Wishing you the best in your new home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aging yourself? Heh. Come sit by me, I remember that show!

      The last time I had moved was 13 years prior--and I swore I'd never move again!

      Delete
  3. Glad the move went well. But what timing, eh? With the storm and all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lili, my timing as always been. . .exquisite. It's a good thing I've never had a child. If I did, I would have gone into labor in a crowded elevator during a blackout.

      Delete
  4. Hi Pamela! Glad you didn't get blown away by that storm! Movers sound great, I want some next time we move.. Either that or I am living in this little flat FOREVER because I really hated moving! I volunteered us to help some friends move next month. Why do I get myself into these things??

    Your new place sounds nice! What's your favourite thing about it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that it's so close to work--that's nice--and that it's within walking distance to the town center and the ocean. The house itself is cozy and to be brutally honest, I'm loving having a washer and dryer in the house (though there's a clothesline that I make use of, which I LOVE LOVE LOVE.)

      Delete
  5. ATT Uverse tv and internet for $59+ a bit. They want your business. Hold out for cheap and threaten to get something else if you don't get what you want for the price you want. I did that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that tip! I'll have to check it out!

      Delete