Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Easy ginger stir fry

I made this before I moved--a friend of mine came over for dinner and brought wild rice from her coop.  I made a stir-fry.

I like stir-frys though I've come to the conclusion that you need to thicken them up a little bit with a small amount of corn starch.  I put in a lot of ginger and garlic for the base, added some soy sauce and a splash of fish sauce, and some of the stock from the dried mushrooms that I reconstituted.  I then added a tablespoon of corn starch and whisked it until it was smooth.

These are very easy to make.  I kept this one basic and vegetarian, and used tofu, which I love.  Since some things cook more quickly than others, I start with the things that take longer to cook or that do well and impart lots of flavor while cooking.  Anything that overcooks easily--like leafy greens (such as the bok choy in the picture) or anything I want to remain somewhat firm (like the peppers) I add towards the end.  I added stuff I got from my CSA--bok choy and tatsoi and peppers.  I also made some beet greens.

I liked having the flavorful sauce as the tofu absorbs it.  Stir-frys are a go-to meal for me, though oddly enough I hadn't made one in a while.  I was glad to have rediscovered this option.

1 comment:

  1. Stir fry is one of the ways we use up leftover turkey. I will thaw a container of turkey, drain off the stock that I packed it in, and marinate in a very strong homemade teriyaki sauce. Then I can stir fry any vegetables and add the turkey just at the end and heat through.

    I agree, most stir fries need a thickener in the sauce, or else the liquid pools on the plate and leaks onto everything else.

    ReplyDelete