Monday, October 22, 2012

Tag, I'm it.

Carol over at Tales From Spring Cottage tagged me.  The rules of this are simple: link back to who tagged you, post eleven random facts about yourself, answer their eleven questions, ask eleven new questions, and tag other bloggers with 200 or fewer followers (post on their blogs to let them know).  The original rules called for people to tag 11 bloggers with fewer than 200 followers, but like Carol, I will do a greatly reduced amount.

Okay, here goes.

Random facts: I love black tea, I never liked fish until I tried sushi, I know naughty words in seven languages (including American Sign Language), I am deathly afraid of cockroaches and waterbugs to the point where I hyperventilate, I had a student in Japan who used to draw pictures of farts in class, I am very stubborn, I saw the original version of The Wicker Man and loved it, I used to live in Japan and have been missing it terribly lately, I can crack many of my joints, I am hungry quite a lot of the time, and I have always wanted to hunt but I'm a klutzy wimp.




1, What is your favorite "me" time activity when you get the chance?  I like reading a good book.

2, Do you prefer Spring or Autumn?  Hmmm. . .while I like spring, it is more appropriately called "mud" here in New England.  Autumn is beautiful, however, and you can enjoy things like delicata squash.

3, If you could have just one wish what would it be and why? I would wish that human beings developed serious long-term thinking and humility, and stopped feeling entitled to take everything from each other and from the planet, dump the waste, and use up every last resource.  We'd all get on better, the environment would be in a much better state, we would be happier and healthier, and we'd have a shot at our species surviving past the next hundred years.  Yes, this is a bummer answer, I know.

4, When was the last time you did something for the first time and what was it?  I tried to cure some tuna.  It was okay, but next time I think I will just make salmon gravlax.

5, What was your favorite subject in High School?  It was a toss up between English and History.  (History is a ginormous soap opera; for all of the moaning about how we're all degenerates today, we don't hold a candle to some people in the past when it comes to trainwreckiness and debauchery.  And English was fun because I could learn to write more effectively about how trainwrecky those folks were, though I suspect my old English teachers would tell me, "Pamela, 'trainwrecky' is not actually a word.")

6, When taking a holiday what do you prefer, countryside, seaside or city and why?  Well, where I live it's possible to go to the seaside and be in the sticks, which is my ultimate ideal.  Otherwise, it's a tossup between countryside and seaside.  I love the ocean and I love the quiet of the country.

7, If you were hosting a dinner party who would be your guest of honour and why? Oh, I forgot to answer this.  I host dinner parties all the time but--I am a terrible hostess--I never really have a guest of honor.  They are quite casual and relaxed; I just want people to come, enjoy the food, unwind and catch up with each other and/or get to know each other.  So I suppose all attendees would be my guests of honor.

8, As a teenager who was you idol?  All of the women who fought for the vote, especially when I learned what happened to them.

9, Do you prefer to read a book and turn the pages made of paper or a kindle?  There are advantages to both things.

10, What is your preferred footwear, heels, trainers or flats?  Trainers, really, but at work I stick with cute flats that are shaped like feet and have rubber soles.

11. What is your favorite fairground ride?  The tilt-a-whirl.

Okay--my questions:

What was the hardest thing you ever did?
What's your favorite TV show?
Why do you blog?
Do you have pets? How did you get them?
Would you rather have more money or more time?
What do you do well?
What don't you do well but enjoy doing anyway?
If you could visit an era in the past, which one would you visit and why?
If there was a species of intelligent alien life that was about to reach our planet, would you want to meet them? What would you talk with them about or ask them?
What do other people rave about that leaves you cold?

The Frugal Graduate
Practical Parsimony
Creative Savv
Miss Piggy Bank
Sarah at Hi How Are You?

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Thanks, Pamela! I'm honored!
    Tilt-a-whirl, eh? That was my first get-sick-on-a-fairground ride! Who knew you weren't supposed to close your eyes?!
    Tough questions. I'll have to give this some thought!
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I enjoyed reading "getting to know you," I also live near the countryside and the sea.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with your holiday destinations of choice! I have decided I want to live in the countryside "when I grow up". :) My parents' house is in the middle of nowhere and only ten minutes from the sea, so I am one of those weirdos who likes to wander through trees and sit alone on clifftops. ;) My Dad teaching me all about the different plants in my area started my love of biology too. :)

    I don't know what a tilt-a-whirl is though.. *Googles* Ohhh, Waltzers, yup, they were probably my favourites too, although now I love crashing into people on the Dodgems best! :)

    I am off to fill in your questions! Thanks for the tag. :)

    ReplyDelete