Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Moving, packing, and culling

It's been really busy.  I've been packing, and getting rid of stuff, and packing some more, and uncovering other things that I should just get rid of because I have not used them, and packing. . .

I got home last night after working a little late and I was so tuckered out that I didn't get all that much done.  According to the guy from the moving company, I don't have a lot of stuff to pack up but I feel like a hoarder right now.  He didn't think it would be that onerous when he came to give me an estimate.

I gave a lot of books to my church for their book sale (part of the church fair).  I also gave them some champagne glasses I bought years ago and that I've used maybe three or four times.

There are things that I don't need but that I'm holding on to because of sentimental value, and I do make a point to use them because of that.  But I still have some things that I'll be happy to be rid of.  The rest of the stuff will go into boxes, and a lot of those boxes will stay sealed and stored for the next six months or so while I look for a new place to buy.  I can get by on very little for six months.  Honestly, I got by on very little for longer than that, so. .

(Okay, Ma, if you're reading this I am not going to live like a monk, I promise.  I just hate unpacking just to pack things up again.)

I know I'm making the right move but I'm still a little melancholy about this.  I lived here for 13 years, and I have friends here and family close by.  This is actually the first time I've been sad about a move--I've left the country before quite blithely and came back to the US quite blithely and never had second thoughts. I will be much more well rested, certainly, since I'll get home from work before six o'clock.  I got home after seven last night.

I'll be glad when I'm moved into my new place and the closing on my condo is done.

7 comments:

  1. We are sad too. You will be missed! Look forward to visiting once you are settled

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moving is physically and emotionally draining. Im sure things will fall into place as soon as you move into your new condo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! Moving seriously sucks (as I now know first hand!) but at least you'll be closer to work. Also, think how much less clutter you'll have when you're sorted! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moving is such hard work! I'm getting tired just reading about your move. But like you said, you'll have a much shorter commute and that will make it all worthwhile.

    Leaving stuff packed in boxes is actually a good technique for deciding what to hang on to and what to give away.. Every time we moved there was always a box or two that was not that important to unpack. And we'd finally decide that most of that box was for giveaway.

    It'll all turn out well. And you'll be able to keep in touch with the good friends you've made at your place. Think how much easier that is today, than say 40 years ago. And it's an adventure. I love adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is better to get help from movers, most of them will give better service.

    Houston Movers

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know you were moving! I hope that it works out for the best!!! Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good post! Thanks for sharing this information I appreciate it. God bless!

    movers reading, ma

    ReplyDelete