Monday, October 8, 2012

Impromptu family dinner

Yesterday my town had a farmer's market kick-off event--next year there will be a regular farmer's market in town, which is great news for everyone who lives here.  The event was a success--the weather was warm and sunny, turnout was great, there was a band, kids activities, and stalls for local produce and products.  I got some Gouda cheese and a loaf of bread (I didn't have time to bake the crusty bread I've made before).

Well, I'm trying to eat my way through my pantry and freezer as it's getting closer and closer to moving day.  I had chicken thighs in the freezer, tomatoes, peppers that I chopped and froze, several winter squashes. . .I have a lot of stuff!  So I figured I'd invite my folks over to help me eat it.

I have a recipe book for chicken--well, poultry, but mostly chicken--and I cracked it open for the first time in years (I had made with some success chicken and balsamic vinegar).  There was a recipe for Spanish Chicken Casserole that was heavenly.  It used chicken, a chopped onion, garlic, tomatoes, green bell pepper (I used the multi colored ones I chopped and froze), red wine, chicken stock, potatoes, olives, and bay leaf.  You dredge the chicken through the flour, pan sear it in an oven-proof casserole, set it aside, and saute the onion and garlic, then add the tomatoes and bell pepper.  Add the chicken back in, add the wine, stock, and potatoes, 12 olives (I used kalmata) and the bay leaf.  Cover and bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for an hour.  It was delicious.

I also made chili-brown sugar delicata squash with pears.  This was so easy.  I'll let you check out the link that will bring you to the recipe, but oh, wow, it was good.  If you are vegetarian or you do not care for swine, you can skip the bacon (yes, it calls for bacon, yes, this made me happy as I firmly believe that everything is better with bacon).  It was very, very good.  I'm sure you could also do this with other thin-skinned winter squashes, like kabocha or acorn.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, that squash sounds delicious. Bacon -- yes, please! My son believes bacon is one of the 4 food groups. Along with frosting, cake and more bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that sounds fabulous. We discovered delicata squash last year--it came in a bag with assorted squash varieties from the farmer's market. I love squash--just the plain, roasted version topped with brown sugar--but the delicata variety is pure heaven. I think it's the velvety texture. The rest of your meal sounds yummy, but right now I'm fixated on squash.

    ReplyDelete