Thursday, September 27, 2012

Tilapia

I'm eating my way through my freezer.  While it's a great idea to stock up on food, you do have to eat it, as freezer burn is not particularly appetizing.  So, I figured I'd make a concerted effort to do this and not go food shopping. 

I do still go to my CSA and pick up my weekly share, but I haven't been to the grocery store for things like pasta or rice in a while. 

I had a  tilapia fillet in the freezer.  I like tilapia--it's a light, mild fish that can be cooked in a variety of dishes.  I got creative as I had a lot of things on hand that I needed to use up.

I chopped up four or five tomatoes from my garden and sauteed them in olive oil and garlic.  I took the rind of a quarter of a preserved lemon, chopped it up, and added that in, letting the whole thing simmer over medium heat.  I added the fish fillet and let it simmer in t he sauce, turning it over after about seven minutes and letting it cook more.  Towards the end, I added some torn basil leaves.

Boom.  Dinner.  I added some steamed beet greens and rice on the side.

4 comments:

  1. That sounds very delicious. I'm still planning on making the preserved lemons later this fall. I figure they'll be a nice fresh taste to add to meals in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds delicious. I was going to buy tilapia, but it was raised in China. So, it was too scary to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dinner looked delicious. I have never heard of Tilapia. I will have to look out for it in our shops in England.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great, Pamela. Fish can be so light and refreshing, which is a nice change. :)

    ReplyDelete