Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Quick sauce

This is something you can do if you want to make sauce from fresh tomatoes but don't have the time to simmer it for hours on end.  Usually, if you make a proper tomato sauce, you need roma/paste tomatoes.  There's a reason they don't taste that good--eat them raw and they taste mealy and somewhat bland.  But when you cook them in a sauce, they are heavenly.  They make a nice, thick sauce.

But sometimes, I want a fresh tomato sauce, or I don't want to open a can of crushed tomatoes.  I've got slicing tomatoes sitting right in front of me, I know I won't eat them all before they go off, and I just want some pasta.  So this is what I do.

I take 2-3 slicing tomatoes (or about eight romas) and chop them up.  I saute some garlic in olive oil over medium heat, add the tomatoes, and whatever other herbs I deem fitting (usually a mix of oregano and basil, or sometimes a cube of homemade pesto--in the picture here I used a lot of fresh basil).  As this is cooking, I start the pasta.

I let it cook until most of the liquid has evaporated (I stir it a lot).  I drain the pasta, put the pasta back into the pan, and add the sauce, stirring to coat it thoroughly.

I don't skin the tomatoes before I chop them or throw them in; if the skins in the quick sauce bug you, you can blanch them for a minute, dip them in cold water, and slide the skins off.

I'm trying hard not to eat too much pasta but dang--tomatoes make it soooo tempting.

3 comments:

  1. I'm trying to not eat pasta also, so I put my sauce over veggies. Last week it was summer squash. This week the produce was discounting eggplants. Veggies never have the "stick-to-your-ribs" attribute that pasta does, but I love any dish that I can eat and then, go running after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pamela,
    Pasta with fresh tomatoes is divine! And it's a quick meal for when you're in a rush. I'm guessing you're still dealing with loads and loads of tomatoes. Meanwhile, mine are still green! Bad year, oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lili, if you can things, you can make spicy pickled green tomatoes. I made a lot of those last year. I'm planning on doing that with the leftover green ones this year as well.

      http://www.theslowcook.com/2009/11/03/spicy-pickled-green-tomatoes/

      or

      http://pickyourown.org/pickledgreentomatoes.php

      to name a few!

      Delete