Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Preserving peppers, part II

Linda over at Practical Parsimony advised me that the way I'd been storing hot peppers might be risky.  I didn't want to toss these, so this is what I did.

I took them out of the mix and put them in ice cube trays.  There was about a tablespoon of chopped hot peppers per cube.  I covered them in olive oil (to keep them from drying out) and froze them.  Now I can add them to whatever I'm cooking for a little kick.

I add these things to whatever I'm cooking that calls for or could use some spice.  Stews, chilis, bean dishes--you name it.  I do have spices in my pantry--chili powder and cayenne pepper--but I get a kick out of knowing that I grew some of the spices I'm eating.

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Thank you for sharing it, Pamela. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pamela,
    Interesting about the peppers and storing in oil. I had heard that you shouldn't try to make your own garlic oil, because of bacteria, but I didn't know if this extended to other herbs and vegetables. But it looks like you found a solution to this. Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! Ice cube trays are the best way to freeze practically anything in perfect sized portions :)

    ReplyDelete