Thursday, September 6, 2012

Hot pepper jelly

Yes, I've been busy with hot peppers these days.  For someone who never used to like spicy things, I've been a bit obsessed with my hot pepper plants.  This may be because insects and rodents steer clear of them.  They'll munch on parsley and cilantro and leafy greens, and take bites out of random tomatoes (always a gross surprise when I'm harvesting them) but they stay away from the hot peppers.

My mother loves hot pepper jelly.  I have failed miserably in making jelly in the past.  I tried making mint jelly and it was terrible.  But this came out pretty well--I was quite happy with it.  Mom will be getting a gift this week.

I got the recipe from the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving or the Ball Blue Book.  Just blend in a food processor 12 ounces of cored and jalapeno peppers (with the seeds removed) with a cup of cider vinegar.  Put that in a pot with another cup of cider vinegar and six (yes, SIX) cups of sugar.  Bring to a rolling boil, stirring constantly, and keep boiling and stirring for ten minutes.  Add two packages of liquid pectin and boil (stirring) for another minute.  Test to make sure it's done.  Put the mixture into sterilized half-pint jars (it will make five or six half pints), and secure the lids and bands  Process for 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.

If you've never canned before, I advise you strongly to get the one of the Ball books and read over the instructions.  There are also good resources online.

4 comments:

  1. My sister loves cream cheese on a cracker with hot pepper jelly on top. :)

    Pamela, I've nominated you for the Beautiful Blogger Award. You can read about it here:

    http://savingmoneyinmytennesseemountainhome.blogspot.com/2012/09/beautiful-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend of mine made this for me as a gift. We thought it was delicious with Brie cheese on thin slices of dark bread.

    ReplyDelete