Monday, September 3, 2012

Eggplant casserole FAIL

I've been getting eggplant from my CSA, and I thought I'd deviate from my usual pan of eggplant Parmesan early last week.  This was a bad, bad, bad idea.

I peeled and chopped the eggplant and mixed it with soft bread crumbs with a variety of spices (garlic, oregano, thyme and rosemary) and put that into a pan.  I then beat six eggs and poured it over the whole thing, arranged slices of tomato over the top and baked it at 350 degrees until it set. Then I sprinkled cheese on top. I was aiming for a strata/casserole thing.  Yeah, not so much. (Note to self--the strata and casserole recipes call for you to add cheese in while baking FOR A REASON.)

It wasn't horrible but it wasn't that good.  It was somewhat dry and bland.  It needed sauce.  I didn't finish it.

File this under: I try to make this stuff and choke it down so you don't have to.

6 comments:

  1. Sorry it didn't work out, Pamela. I know I've had a recipe or two fail on me before too, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pamela,
    So if maybe you'd added more seasonings, garlic, onions and herbs, and had a sauce over it, do you think it would've been good? Because it sounds like a terrific idea for a casserole.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lili, it was dry, so I think either a sauce, or cheese or something would have added to it. It was close but. . .just tasted like stuffing with eggplant and eggs.

    Belinda, I look at my fails as good blog fodder. I figure I can't do everything perfectly, but I can entertain people with my kitchen trainwrecks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry the recipe didn't work as planned. Now you know for next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for taking the hit for us! I do choke things down in order not to waste food. Now, you know what does not work, so you can fix the recipe. I saw a recipe this morning on tb for eggplant roulade. Maybe you could use the eggplant like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So awesome that you post what *doesn't* work, as well as what does! You're pepper jelly form the other night was win, win WIN! So nice to se you (if only for a tiny bit.)

    ReplyDelete