Friday, September 7, 2012

Beautiful blogger award!

Belinda over at Frugal Workshop nominated me for the Beautiful Blogger Award.  Thank you so much, Belinda!

 Belinda's blog is a great resource if you're trying to save money or just hone your basic domestic skills.  She's good at stretching a dollar and is a creative cook.  I really enjoy seeing how she plans her meals.  She proves that you can plan delicious meals on a budget if you're strategic and creative.

The rules for the award are simple:

  1. Copy the Beautiful Blogger Award logo and place it in your post.
  2. Write Something about the blogger who nominated you and link back to their blog.
  3. Tell seven things about yourself.
  4. Nominate other bloggers for this award, and comment on their blogs to let them know.  No number was specified to Belinda, but she found other bloggers were nominating seven new bloggers, so I will as well.

Okay, here are seven things about me:

I will try almost anything (food-wise).  Unless it's a bug.  I wish I could get past that but alas, I cannot--I'm actually borderline phobic about bugs.  (Unless it's a lobster but the little land dwelling ones? Not so much.)  I will try things because even if they sound nasty, I might like them, and why miss out if I like something?  And if I don't like it, I have a great story to tell. This ironic because. . .

I used to be the world's pickiest eater.  I ate popcorn, cereal, bacon, chicken, beef (not ground) toast and tea.  Oh, and spinach.  I did like spinach and raw carrots.  That was pretty much it.


I lived in Japan for three and a half years. I still miss the place a lot sometimes.  I got pretty decent at speaking and understanding Japanese (thought I've lost a lot of it since I came back in 1998). I'd like to learn Spanish and Portuguese.  Spanish is useful in general, and a lot of people in my town (and in this region) speak Portuguese.

I met Ertha Kitt when I was in my twenties.  I was in Washington, DC to commemorate MLK's march on Washington and she was there.  My friend waved to her like she knew her (she didnt!) and she came over to us AND OH MY GOD STARTED TALKING TO US AND SHE WAS SO NICE AND HOLY MOLY I WAS TALKING TO CATWOMAN I ABOUT FAINTED AND DIED!!  She was really, really nice.

I used to be a headbanger (and was still a total nerd) in high school.  If you don't know, don't ask. I also had. . .exquisite dress sense.


My parents grew almost everything we ate growing up.  Depending on where we were living at the time (and the space and sunlight available for a garden) they grew things like corn, tomatoes, garlic, cabbage, spinach, lettuce, onions, squash. . .you name it.  Whatever we didn't eat in season was stored in the deep freeze.  As I didn't like most vegetables, my childhood was wasted on me.  They are amused--and somewhat bemused--by the interest I've taken in gardening and food preservation.

I re-learned to swim a few years ago.  I could always dog paddle--my parents made me and my sister take swimming lessons as kids--but never could get the hang of the crawl. When I took adult swim lessons six years ago, it threw everyone that I was comfortable in the deep end of the pool (hey! I could do the dog paddle and I could tread water, so no big, I wasn't going to drown or sink). I took the beginners class over and over to make sure I got the moves right--and learned the crawl, the breast stroke (which I'm still terrible at) and the butterfly (which I'm not great at BUT OH MY LAUGHING WATER DEMONS IS IT FUN). 

Okay, so my choices are pretty eclectic.  I've stuck to people who update regularly.  (Lili over at Creative Savv nominated Belinda and Connie over at Food Stamps Cooking Club.  Consider these links an honorable mention.)

Please check their blogs out!

  1. World of Okonomy
  2. The Frugal Graduate
  3. A Homesteading Neophyte
  4. Living on Foodstamps
  5. Club Thrifty
  6. Doggone Thrifty
  7. Practical Parsimony


7 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for nominating me! That's so sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pleasure! I enjoy your blog!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for the nomination! I hope you have a great weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very welcome, Pamela. Thank you for all your kind words. Your blog is one of the best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your blog award.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pamela,
    Congratulations! And thank you for the honorable mention.

    So you met Ertha Kitt?! I used to rush home from school and do my homework so I could watch Batman! Wow! Catwoman, live and in person!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for the nomination. I feel so flattered!!!! I've not been feeling very well lately (autoimmune) so I haven't had the energy to devote as much time on my blog as I'd like to but I will soon complete the 'Rules ' requirement. I am so excited to have been nominated. Thank You again!!!

    Patty

    ReplyDelete