Monday, August 6, 2012

Freezing corn

I got six ears of sweet corn as part of my CSA share.  I normally give some to my parents as they love sweet corn, but I knew I wouldn't see them this week.  I also figured I'd get more corn next week--once it comes in, it really comes in.  Not that I'm complaining!

This week I figured I'd freeze it.  I resolved this year to not have rotting vegetables in my fridge--I was pretty good about it last year, and wanted to be even better about it this year.  I also knew that I wouldn't be able to eat the corn this week, so I figured I'd freeze it.

It was pretty easy.  I shucked the corn, I cleaned off the silk, and blanched it in boiling water for four minutes.  I took them out and put them in ice water, sliced the kernels from the ears with a very sharp knife, and put the kernels in a freezer bag.  I got out as much air as I could from the freezer bag, sealed it and put it in the freezer.

Now, sweet corn is a little different from regular corn.  The kernels are lighter colored, and they are, as the name attests, quite sweet.  I read that canning it will result in slightly discolored corn (though it will taste fine).  I'm not sure if freezing it will do the same thing, but it can't hurt to try it.

5 comments:

  1. Good planning on your part, Pamela. You'll enjoy that corn when the time comes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, home frozen sweet corn is SOOOOOOOOOOO much better than frozen corn you purchase at the store. Ours doesn't get discolored. The starches from the corn will make your bag sticky when you open it--a small price to pay for yummyness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a relief! I hate wasting good food, especially something fresh from the farm, so I wanted to see how it would freeze.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you tried it yet (the corn from the freezer)?

    ReplyDelete