Thursday, August 2, 2012

CSA produce meal--South Asian style fried rice

Dinner!
I am getting a lot of produce from my CSA farm, which is great.  I also know that I need to use it up because some of this stuff does not preserve well (such as the patty pan squash I got). One of my friends (the one who made this heavenly dish) mixes shredded carrot, chickpeas, chicken stock and spices in with the basmati rice and water in the rice cooker and it's come out very well.  Well, I have no compunction about ripping my friends off.

First, I took two cups of brown basmati rice and four cups of water and put them in the rice cooker.  I added two shredded carrots, leftover forty clove of garlic chicken (with several cloves of roasted garlic), a few chopped carrot tops, a tablespoon of ginger powder, 1/2 a teaspoon of garam masala, 1/2 a teaspoon of chili powder and 1/2 a teaspoon of cayenne pepper.  I closed the cover and set it to cook.  If I didn't have the leftover chicken, I would have added chickpeas and vegetable stock.  (I figured the chicken and garlic would add a lot of flavor as is.)

This smelled divine.
Then, I chopped an onion, a zucchini, and a patty pan squash.  I sauteed them in olive oil over medium heat, added in a teaspoon of cinnamon and a teaspoon of ground coriander seed.  It smelled heavenly.  Actually, the cinnamon made me think of Thanksgiving.  Once the rice was done, I added it to the skillet and mixed everything together.

My friend's version was much better, I think because it was spicier.  Surprisingly, it wasn't that spicy to me, and I think it was a little heavy on the cinnamon--I think I'll just put 1/4 teaspoon in next time.  I wanted a hint of flavor, not for it to dominate it.  And I can't believe I'm saying this, as I am a spice wimp, but I think I have to add maybe another teaspoon of chili powder or cayenne pepper.  Overall, it wasn't bad, though.  I did have seconds.

I do like dishes like this because they are versatile--you can use what you have on hand to make a decent meal.  This one has plenty leftover for a big lunch tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. It looks great, Pamela, and wold definitely be a big hit here. We like Asian style foods like this.

    Depending on the brand of chili powder you used it might require more to get the full flavor. I've noticed with some of the cheaper spices at Walmart, and particularly with the chili powder, that I have to double up to get the best flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pamela,
    That looks great! And a good way to use up both CSA and garden surplus. I've got to start remembering to use carrot tops in my cooking this summer. That's such a great tip!

    ReplyDelete