Thursday, August 30, 2012

Busy, busy, busy

I've been a bit busier than usual. As you know, one of my garden plots had turned into a prairie, and my everyday weeding wasn't cutting it.  So I took Monday off and weeded like a demon.  It's far from perfect, but it's mostly clear now.  I also re-staked the tomatoes (actually, added more stakes and just tied the long vines to them, and trimmed back a lot of the vines that had no fruit on them) because they were falling over and looked trainwrecky.

I laid down a little more mulch as well, though it's not enough to cover the entire garden.  I stayed at my friend's house Monday night.  She has an outdoor shower, which was, by the way, awesome.  I brought some cold soup, she made some stir fried bulgur wheat with Indian spices, and her friend who's staying with her made cod.  My friend, who's an incredible baker, offered us a variety of sweets for dessert--I demolished them. We ate very well.  I also fed my friend's chickens the kitchen scraps.  

I spent Tuesday recovering and last night I tried to make a new dish with an eggplant from my CSA (FAIL--I'll post about it later) and chopped up some hot peppers from my garden and put them in the olive oil/vinegar mix to preserve them in the fridge. (Edit: it's probably best to store the peppers in straight vinegar, as Practical Parsimony points out in the comments--though these peppers won't last me the weekend.)  I didn't wear gloves, which was a mistake, as my hands feel. . .er, warm.  They were throbbing last night.  (At least I knew not to rub my eyes.)

I might try my hand at making hot pepper jelly this weekend.  I'll probably also make some stock and can the rest of my ripe tomatoes.

What are you all up to this weekend?  It will be a long one in the US--Labor Day.


4 comments:

  1. Just linked my Dad to that chilli link. He said that what he normally does is freeze them, but then I suppose they're less easily used.

    This weekend is my last few days of work before I'm back up to Uni. Whoohoo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you have been busy, Pamela. I was wondering where you were. An outdoor shower would be awesome to have. Your dinner sounded terrific and your evening sounds like it was really nice too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I know you are not supposed to store vegetables or herbs in oil, refrigerated or not. Bacteria grow. However, I am not sure if putting vinegar in the mix makes it safe. You did not say whether you read this somewhere as a safe procedure, so I thought I would mention it just in case.

    Even when you have problems in the garden, I think you do a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this. I'll double-check--a friend of mine does this, and I assumed it was safe because of all the vinegar, but I should have checked around.

      Delete