Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Today is Independence Day here in the US

I don't plan on doing much as I live on the main street in my town, and that's the parade route.  So I'll either hang out on my balcony or bring my chair out to the sidewalk and watch the parade, which often features floats with the local Portuguese Americans and the local Brazilian Americans.  Do some chores around my home, maybe read, maybe nap.  Scritch my kitty.  Watch good British television (sorry my fellow Americans, but British TV beats ours hands down) and eat Japanese curry rice.  (No, curry is not Japanese, and anyone from South Asia would likely side-eye their version of curry.  But they've turned it into a comfort-food dish that is like the boxed mac and cheese which means that yes, I'm hooked on it.)

Maybe I'll even go watch the fireworks tonight.  Or I'll call the police when they start and complain that SOMEONE IS SETTING OFF FIREWORKS AND THAT IS ILLEGAL AND ITS RUINING MY SLEEP.

No, I won't do that. But it's funny for me to think about.

6 comments:

  1. Happy Independance Day.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you had a good day, as well!

      Delete
  2. Have a good Independence Day. Cool that you live on the main street, in the center of activity.
    We have a small parade that runs through our neighborhood. We'll watch that, go buy some fireworks (they're still legal here), have a backyard cookout, do our fireworks, then the kids and I'll go for a late night walk to watch neighbor fireworks (my husband will be asleep by then).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like it was fun! I enjoy small town parades. I ended up conking out by the time the fireworks were going, but I usually enjoy those a lot!

      Delete
  3. My favourite irony in the whoooole world is when my fellow Brits celebrate Independence Day. :) Is Japanese curry like Chinese curry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, is that thing? I guess it could be a "thank the lord we are rid of them" day. ;) Japanese curry is a mild brown sauce with a bit of curry in it--and you cook meat (if you wish) and potatoes and veg in it and serve it over rice.

      Delete