Monday, July 2, 2012

Savory mushroom, meat and eggs

This is something I adapted from a low-carb chicken cordon bleu recipe I had made for a friend who was into Atkins.  I loved the filling and thought it would be great in omelets and scrambled eggs.  I was right.

If you are having a bunch of people over for brunch or breakfast, make this whole thing at once.  If it is just for you, make the mushroom and meat (optional) filling and refrigerate it (or freeze it) and use a little (probably 1/4 cup or so) when you make omelets or scrambled eggs.

I took an 8 oz. package of sliced mushrooms (you can use any kind you like), and chopped them up finely.  I usually finely chop a small onion but I didn't have one, so I used a couple of green onions I got from my CSA.  I chopped the white bulbs and the green tops.  I also chop up either a couple of slices of prosciutto or pancetta, or smoked honey turkey meat.  Then I add one or two cloves of chopped garlic and I saute all of these things in some olive oil until the mushrooms cook down.  Sometimes I'll add in fresh or dried herbs--when I made a version of this on Saturday morning, I chopped up a lot of the oregano I picked from my garden.  When I first put them in, it looks as if the mushrooms will overflow out of the skillet, but they do cook down, I swear.

Once the filling is cooked, I take it out of the skillet and put it aside in a bowl.  If I'm making breakfast or brunch for a bunch of people, I beat eight eggs, mix in a lot (like 1/4-1/2 cup) of chopped fresh herbs (a recent combination was basil, oregano, parsley, rosemary, and spring onion).  I let the eggs cook over a medium heat, stirring constantly.  As they start to cook, firm up, I add the filling and keep stirring.  When it's almost all cooked, I add in 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese and stir it in until it's melted.  Then everyone eats it and enjoys it.

If this is in the winter, when fresh herbs aren't easy to get for a reasonable price, I use a tablespoon of mixed dried herbs, or 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of herbs I froze from the last growing season.

The meat is optional (of course).  I have made this for family and friends before and they really liked it.  Now that the herbs are going gangbusters, I'm making good use of them in my breakfasts.

Sometimes I'll make the filling and as I mentioned above either freeze it or refrigerate it to add a little to omelets or scrambled eggs later in the week.  If I do that, I add about a teaspoon of Parmesan cheese near the end of cooking.  I don't go crazy with the cheese--it's delicious, but I like it in moderation.

This makes for a very filling breakfast--I was not hungry again until the early afternoon.  It is very flavorful and it's pretty healthful to eat.

1 comment: