Thursday, July 12, 2012

Muffins with yogurt


So I had some zucchini that I needed to use up (ah, yes, zucchini season starts again!) and thought it would be nice to make some muffins.  I reached for my Complete Tightwad Gazette to refresh my memory on the basic muffin recipe, when I was hit with some inspiration.

You see, those muffins are good but after a day they can tend to get dry.  I'm a single woman and I don't want to make a dozen muffins just to freeze them or save them and have them turn into pretty and sweet-smelling rocks.  So I thought, well, why don't I use yogurt in place of milk?  It will certainly make it creamier.  I've used yogurt instead of milk when I've made a crustless quiche and it worked out much, much better than milk.

It worked very, very well.  In fact, if you tried to make yogurt and ended up with a bum/runny batch of yogurt, use that as the milk replacement if you wish (or blend it with fruit and pour it into Popsicle molds).  Either way, it makes for a thick, creamy batter and a moist muffin that will not dry out.  I had these three days later and they were still quite tasty.

2 comments:

  1. Good thinking on your part!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also had great results when I have made quick breads with yogurt! I am currently in love with buttermilk--makes a moist and tender product. Either yogurt or buttermilk are great options if you are trying to bake yummy goodies without using a lot of fat. (yes, I use applesauce to replace some of the fat in my recipes, but I have discovered that using all applesauce makes for rubbery baked goods. Bleah.)

    ReplyDelete