Thursday, July 19, 2012

Fried rice

This was something that worked twofold: first, I had a mad, mad craving for the stuff and came very close to running out for Chinese food.  Then I remembered that I had a couple of cups of cooked Japanese short grain rice in the fridge (which I like the best for fried rice).  And a lot of CSA produce.  And tamari and ginger paste and garlic from my CSA.  And. . .

Okay, you get the picture.

Fried rice is very, very easy to make and I have to say this was actually better than anything I've had in a restaurant.  This is what I did:

First, I chopped up a clove of garlic, an onion, a yellow summer squash, and shredded a large, peeled carrot.  I also chopped up the carrot tops and put them aside.  Yes, you can use those in cooking and in salads.  Yes, they are delicious.

Then, I beat one egg and cooked it, slid it out of the pan, cut it up, and put that aside.

I sauteed the garlic, a tablespoon of ginger paste (you can use fresh or add ginger powder after) and onion in canola oil, then added the vegetables (except for the carrot tops).  Then I added the rice and egg and stirred it until it all had equal exposure to the heat.  After it was well stirred/coated with oil, heated through, I added a tablespoon of tamari (or soy sauce), and stirred everything well to make sure it was well distributed.  At the very end, I added the carrot tops and let them wilt.

Then I ate it.  I actually ate too much, because I am waaaayy too enthusiastic about anything with starch in it.  I still had plenty left over for lunch.

What I like about making fried rice is that it is so versatile and it's perfect for leftovers--that is what the dish originally was for, after all.  Have some leftover rice and vegetables in the fridge?  Have some leftover meat?  Have something left over in an amount you're not sure you can use?  Make some friend rice.  Have some vegetables that you have no idea how you want to prepare or you're getting sick of?  They are perfect for fried rice. You can make it vegetarian or completely vegan if you like. You can put all sort of leftover beast in it if you want.  You can add whatever flavorings you'd like. It's easy and forgiving and oh, so good!

5 comments:

  1. I love making fried rice for the same reasons. Veggie drawer clean-out is especially good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious! I think I know what's for lunch, as I have a container of leftover rice in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks absolutely delicious!!! I think I am going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so good! My daughter loves this kind of meal. I love it because it's so simple and easy to make. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks and sounds delicious. I wasn't hungry until I read this!

    ReplyDelete