Friday, July 20, 2012

Friday links--irony, trainwrecks, and warm hearts, oh my!

Lawns are so passe.  Just grow your own meadow because it's green and natural and beautiful and inexpensive.  Of course, you'll need herbicide and special plants, to prepare the soil, and to specially trim the growing meadow once a month in the three year period you're growing it.  Um. (Yeah, I know, I know, it's how you're supposed to do it to get a bona-fide meadow with flowers that will attract butterflies, bees, and flowers.  But the irony of requiring herbicide or other ways of killing the existing plants and maintenance for something that normally grows wild does not escape me.)

The best money saving apps for your smartphone.  Smart phone data plans cost a lot more than the savings you'll get in most cases.  Maybe drop those plans and save $80-plus a month.  (And if you're out shopping all the time, stopping that habit will save you a lot more.  Amazing, I know.)

If you want to be rich and famous, make sure you pay your long overdue child support first.  Otherwise, you'll be broke and notorious.

A man found his car on eBay 42 years after it was stolen.  I'm not sure what is stranger--that he kept looking for almost as long as I've been alive, that he only paid $3K to get his now classic and valuable car back, or that he originally paid $3K to buy it 42 years ago.  Still, I'm happy for him, and it looks like a great car.

If you live in China, here's a way to make some money.  Piranhas.  Who knew??

This is what happens when you don't repay your debt!

Finally, dudes who wish Stepford was real have some good news.  Myself, I'd like to program the robots to roll their eyes at whoever gave them a command, and to respond, "Yah, sparky, I'll get right on that" or "I'll get to it when I'm done watching the Real Housewives."

OK, this has nothing to do with the theme of this post, but if you like pretty photographs and want to buy one to hang in your home or office, my friend has an Etsy shop.  

Have a great weekend, everybody!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad for the guy who finally got his stolen car back, after 42 years.

    ReplyDelete