Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Brown-bagging it--burritos

I had written about things I took to work for lunch before.  When CSA season started and I was getting lots of lettuce, spinach, and arugula, I packed a lot of salads and soups.  Leafy greens besides chard and other hardy varieties are beginning to wilt now, and many of the vegetables I'm getting are good for snacking on--green beans, zucchini and summer squash (they are tasty in hummus), carrots, etc.

And honestly, it is much easier to go to the freezer and pull something out to put into my lunch bag.  I like the odd sandwich, but I'm not one to eat them every day.  I do, however, enjoy burritos.

You can make these very inexpensively.


Use beans or meat.  You could probably use assorted vegetables as well, but I'm a fan of beans and/or meat.  If I make chicken I will shred and season the remainder up and use that.  Or I'll brown some ground beef in crushed tomatoes with lots of garlic and some cayenne and chili pepper.  Sometimes I will just use home canned beans that I have onhand, or homemade refried beans.  

I like to use a little rice with my burritos.  I boil a cup of regular rice and toss it with a couple of tablespoons of lime juice and a half a cup of chopped, fresh cilantro.

Cheese--I use either cheddar or Monterey Jack.   I often buy it on sale, shred it, and freeze it for later use.  Sometimes the price for cheese that's already shredded is lower so I buy that.

Tortillas--I use flour tortillas and I get the least expensive burrito sized ones.  I'm going to try and make them one of these days.

Salsa--I have this on the side when I actually eat this.  I will also sometimes pick up an avocado to have on the side as well.

Assembling the burrito is easy: Lay the tortilla flat on a clean surface.  Place a spoonful or two of rice in the center and a spoonful or two of beans/meat.  Add cheese to taste (I tend to go easy on it, no more than a tablespoon for me).  Fold the ends up and then fold the sides over.  I wrap these in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil to prevent freezer burn, then I store them in large and labeled freezer bags (refried bean burritos, beef burritos, chicken burritos, etc.)

To eat these, just unwrap the foil and place the burrito on a plate.  Microwave for a minute or two, depending upon the wattage of your microwave.  Unwrap the plastic wrap, and enjoy this with salsa and/or avocado.


3 comments:

  1. Hey, a VERY good suggestion! My tortillas always go bad before I can use them. Making burritos in bulk and then freezing them is a *perfect* answer!

    Gonna have to skip the cilantro as I have that gene that makes it taste "soapy" but even so, cilantro is entirely appropriate for Mexican!

    Thank you for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pamela,
    I frequently make vegetarian burritos for the brown bags in our household. Not just because they're economical, but also, as they don't have any meat in the filling, I don't worry that the burritos are sitting out at room temperature half the day, as I would if they were meat burritos,

    What I do is one night I make tortillas for our dinner, making about 1/2 dozen extra, then after dinner fill the extra tortillas for the next day's lunch. I'll have to try making even more and freezing.

    Thanks for the idea! (And your rice sounds very yummy with the lime and herbs!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good, Pamela. :)

    I like to make Mexican Rice and Bean & Cheese Enchiladas, which are similar to Bean Burritos. They sure are a money saver, that is for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete