Monday, July 23, 2012

A special treat: chili lime shrimp, roasted vegetables with preserved lemon, and tomato, cucumber and mint salad

I had a friend who is particularly fond of spicy food over for dinner on Saturday.  I wanted to make something that used a lot of my CSA and garden produce, that was light and refreshing, and that was filling.  We were both starved so there is no picture of the food to show you.  We inhaled it.

Roasted vegetables: I roughly cut up the potatoes (red, white and blue), zucchini, and onion and tossed them with a chopped slice of preserved lemon and chopped fresh rosemary.  I also added some fennel fronds and a sprig of rosemary.  I think next time I'll add garlic (I usually do but I forgot about it) and some crushed red pepper for kick if I have someone who loves spice over.  And maybe two slices of preserved lemon (or an entire one), finely chopped.  If I don't have the preserved lemon I use a whole lemon, and squeeze some juice over the vegetables for good measure.  No worries, Frank's Red Hot sauce brought it up to speed.   I roasted these in a 400 degree oven for forty minutes.

Chili lime shrimp: This was easy.  I don't normally buy shrimp but there was a decent price on it--and I needed to make something refreshing and tasty and fairly quick and filling.  Shrimp fit the bill.  I got a pound of the stuff.  It was uncooked and it was de-veined but needed to be peeled.  Once it was defrosted and peeled, I added the juice of one lime (there was a good sale on bags of lemons and limes, so I got a bag of limes and will do with the leftover limes what I do with leftover lemons), a seeded and finely copped hot pepper, cayenne pepper and a little olive oil.  I stirred it well to coat it and let it marinade for about five minutes (no longer or it would have turned into a ceviche, which is fine, but not what I was aiming for).  Next time I'd add a lot of garlic.  I roasted it in a foil packet in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.

Cucumber, sungold tomato and mint salad.  This was pretty straightforward.  I picked the cucumbers and mint from my garden plot earlier that morning; the tomatoes came from my CSA.  I sliced up the cucumbers, chopped some mint, and tossed them and the tomatoes with a little bit of olive oil and red wine vinegar.  I added a little salt and pepper.  This was very, very refreshing.

To wash it all down, we had Lili's rhubarb lemonade. It was a hit. (I made more for a get-together at a friend's house on Sunday, and it was a hit then as well.)

And there you have it--Saturday's dinner!  We also had desert, but I didn't make it.  We ate Ben & Jerry's Cookie Dough Ice Cream.  Hey, a girl's gotta sin somewhere.


6 comments:

  1. Sounds good! By fennel fronts, do you mean the top green portion or the bulb? I love roasted fennel with potatoes. I tried growing fennel a couple of years in my garden, but no luck. Did it come in your CSA box? Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes, that's a typo, I'll fix it. I meant the fronds of the fennel--the top green portion. It came from my garden--alas, I picked it too early and so there was no bulb to use, otherwise I would have roasted the bulb with the rest of the vegetables. I have gotten it in my CSA share before.

      Delete
  2. Yummy! Did you do a post earlier about preserved lemons? I've never tried them, but now that I've seen your roasted veggie recipe I might.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Denise!

      Yes, I did a post on preserved lemons. You can read it here: http://feralhomemaking.blogspot.com/2012/06/preserved-lemons.html

      There are different ways to do it--you can do a search on the internet to see what other recipes there are. It's well worth it to make them--they add a lovely flavor to chicken and fish, and if you make a chicken tagine style dish in the slow cooker, they are a must.

      Delete
  3. While I am not fond of hot or spicy, all the fresh vegetables sound delicious. That dessert inspires me to go buy ice cream, but I won't. Someone on a blog yesterday had Klondike bars for dessert.

    ReplyDelete