Monday, June 25, 2012

Mixed greens stew

My share from the CSA was huge--beets, turnips, radishes, lettuce, spinach, arugula, fennel, and spring onion.  The beets and radishes also have edible greens, and I don't like wasting anything.  I also knew I wouldn't be able to eat everything this week, so. . .I did what I usually do, which was to make a meal ahead of time and freeze it.

I was going to try my hand at pot greens, but there was a lot of them.  And I knew I'd want soup this week--there's something about soup that is just very satisfying to me.  It also keeps well in the freezer.  I knew the greens would need something smoky and rich to cook with them--so I took out the turkey kielbasa from the freezer.

I washed and chopped the beet and radish greens (I'd chop them smaller next time), a garlic scape, a spring onion, and a bulb of fennel. I also sliced up the kielbasa.  I put them all into my large, 6-quart slow cooker and covered them with water, set it on high, and cooked it for three hours, adding a teaspoon of black pepper and teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes.  I added in the spinach for the last hour of cooking.

This tasted pretty good; it's filling but won't make you feel like you've got a rock sitting in your stomach after having a bowl of it.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Pamela,
    That looks really good! Did you have a lot leftover for the freezer? And it does look filling, but light. yummmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Lili. I had a couple of containers for the freezer. It is filling but won't sit in your stomach like a rock.

    ReplyDelete