Thursday, June 7, 2012

Kale smoothie

Yes, you read it right.  Kale smoothie.

I made one last night when I got home and one again this morning (see the picture?).  Yesterday was my CSA pickup day, and kale is on the menu.  A friend of mine had posted on Facebook about how she made kale smoothies, I was curious, I worked the Google, and then I improvised.

This is what I used last night:

1 cup of fresh strawberries, hulled and cut into halves or quarters (depending on the size)
1 1/2 cups of chopped kale, stems removed
2 tablespoons of my homemade yogurt
A dash of cinnamon

I pureed it well in a blender and drank it.  Well, first I looked at it doubtfully, because unlike most of the pictures I saw of kale smoothies that showcase luxuriously green drinks, this one was the color of my bedroom--Mississippi Mud.  Which is a nice color on a wall (really!) but has me thinking of, er, things other than kale and smoothies when it's in my glass.

However, it tasted delicious.  And it's making me want to try this with other greens and other fruit combinations.  (I'm willing to bet it would be green and still quite tasty with melon and chopped mint, for example.)

The one this morning, which is decidedly greener (see the picture above), has the same ingredients sans cinnamon and, after the first blending, I added another cup of chopped kale and blended that in, too.  It's good though the kale taste really comes through.  Now, I don't mind kale, but if you don't want the flavor in a smoothie and you want the green color, I'd suggest adding in a chopped apple or kiwi, or green grapes, or some apple or orange juice.

I'll keep you posted about my further adventures in smoothie land.

4 comments:

  1. Kale is one of the few things that reliably grows in our garden. But I have never heard of kale smoothies before. I do add a handful of kale when making carrot/apple apple juice. In juicing kale and pears go together well, too. I don't know how pears would do in a blender.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mm, that looks really nice!! What does kale taste of, it's a member of the cabbage group of plants isn't it? What a lovely colour! (Mud colour sounded less pleasant though!!)

    Awesomes! I have some strawberries to use, might have to make a smoothie now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lili, I have seen recipes for kale and pear smoothies. Frankly, I think any fruit will do, though some will allow the green color more than others. Bryallen, kale does taste a lot like cabbage, but depending upon the variety, it can a be a little sweeter or a little tangier. I like it. I may try another smoothie with frozen blueberries, frozen mango chunks, and a bunch of kale or other greens. I think half a banana would also work well.

    The mud color--well, I tried to tell myself it looked like chocolate. Still, it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kale smoothie. Mmmmm. You are officially my new culinary heroine!

    ReplyDelete