Friday, June 22, 2012

Friday links

It's been 90-plus degrees here in Massachusetts.  Not that I'm complaining--I know if it's cold you can always put on another sweater, but my hands get sore and slow, and sometimes I just don't feel warm enough no matter how many sweaters I put on.  I drink some iced water and I'm good to go in the heat, though.  Not that I'm about to run any marathons in the desert or anything.  Heck, I'm not about to run any marathons, period.

Here are some of the things I've read this week.

The Six Creepiest Lies the Food Industry is Feeding You (at Cracked.com).  I knew about the meat shenanigans, was surprised at my surprise at the honey fakery, and am livid about fake mafia-trafficked olive oil.  Seriously.  DAMN YOU MAFIA JERKS. MAY YOU DIE A THOUSAND DEATHS AND ENDURE ETERNITY IN HELL WITH MUZAK AS THE BACKGROUND MUSIC AND KETCHUP FOR TOMATO SAUCE.

21 Pictures that will restore your faith in humanity.  This got me teary-eyed.

There is a glut of used clothing, apparently.

Strength training at home (and mainly without weights).  You can also go to this site and build up enough strength to do 100 pushups in six weeks.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

3 comments:

  1. I love the cartoon. 90 degree!!! oohh too hot for me.
    All morning, here in the North West of England it has been raining heavily and some roads are flooded. At the moment it doesn't look as if its going to stop for when the Olympic torch comes through our town later this afternoon. I feel for all the poor runners today.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it sounds crazy, but I run in weather like this. I guess I'm from the "Whatever doesn't kill me..." school of thought, but it can be done. I take precautions: I hydrate well, wear a hat, and listen to my body's early warning system (tingling of my skin) to tell me when I need to slow down. Come back drenched, 'tho.

    Love the 'toon. Also the "21 Pictures."

    Happy weekend, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pamela,
    Wow! eye-opener for sure!
    You really have to know what you're eating and who produced it. I'd heard of the meat glue before, and the honey, well I'd jokingly said once about some cheap honey, that it's probably filled with corn syrup, so it doesn't really surprise me. Eating local is a good start. I've been wanting to use local honey for allergy purposes. It's supposed to help with pollen related allergies. You just gave me the last nudge to buy some at the farmer's market.
    I've also heard that restaurants with saffron infused dishes, frequently "augment" the saffron with mostly tumeric, so you think you're getting saffron.

    About yesterday's post, I went out to the garden and began pulling up old chard, and was able to use a good deal of each plant, that I normally would've composted. And while weeding, I found a bunch of watercress mixed in with weeds, and cut those for dinner last night! Can't wait to do something with carrot tops. Thanks again for the info!

    ReplyDelete