Friday, June 15, 2012

Friday blogaround--the garden edition

Before I start, this was actually a search term that got someone to this joint: "old people are lazy."  Well, if they are, I'd say they've earned it.

Inspired by Juneteenth, The New York Times to run a story in the Thursday edition of the paper on freedom gardens and gardening and farming in the African-American community.  You should definitely check out the African American Museum's Freedom Garden if you are in the Donaldsonville, Louisiana area.  (I would certainly like to visit one day.)

Bryallen's vegetables are coming along.  Check out her post as she has some useful tips on growing different vegetables.

Dan's garden in his still fairly new home is coming along as well.

And oldie but a goodie from Five Cent Nickel on four frugal gardening hacks.

You can grow your own stevia.  Yes, it's the same stuff used for the new sugar alternative.

Most people with gardens have at least one zucchini plant--sometimes more.  Then they have more of the stuff than they know what to do with.  Well, prepare now! Check out these zucchini recipes.

Have a great weekend, everyone!


5 comments:

  1. I have zucchini coming in now too. Looking for some good way to use it up. Thanks for the link. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have a vegetable garden, Pamela? What do you grow?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pamela, how's your garden(s) growing? An update in the works? I think you posted a photo in May, right? It's been cool and wet in our area, so the garden's been slow. Thanks you for the link. Now I have to make sure the stevia actually grows! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bryallen and Lili, I will be posting about the plot at work next week--I took some photos. No matter how much I mulch, the weeds still grow but it's not as bad as last year. I lost a cucumber plant (!) and everything looks a bit waterlogged thanks to the near-constant rain and cool weather we had, but I am hoping this week will be what the plants need. I finished my other plot. Between the two plots I've got mint, chocolate mint, sage, pineapple sage, fennel, sweet and hot peppers, tomatoes, chard, beans, cucumbers, peas, beets, carrots, thyme, lemon balm, oregano, basil, rosemary, zucchini, rhubarb, butternut squash and will be planting garlic soon (well, my colleague at work who shares my work plot with me). We'll see how it all does! (The chard is looking *terrible*.) I've also got a shallot plant going.

    ReplyDelete