Thursday, June 14, 2012

Every night frogs serenade me



 Every night I hear about 2-3 frogs (or more) calling from the trees.  This is a fairly new development--over the past few years they've gotten a little more numerous and loud.  I never heard them when I first moved here.  I don't have a picture of the little guys but I do have a Youtube video of one of them calling.  They are Eastern tree frogs.

Last night I was walking with my neighbor and I heard her say there were a couple at her door.  I have been dying to see what these little critters look like--I actually love their calls.  There were two right up against the front door to her building.  I cooed over them (she must think I'm really odd) and moved them to a less hazardous place.  One of them wasn't having it and jumped back in my path, staring me down, like, LISTEN CHICKIE, WE WERE INVITED TO A PARTY IN THE DOWNSTAIRS CONDO BUT WE CAN'T REACH THE BUZZER SO DO NOT PATRONIZE ME AND PUT ME IN THE SHRUBBERY WITH ALL THE BARK.  DO YOU HAVE ANY CRICKETS TO EAT? I LOVE CRICKETS.

They are adorable. One hangs out in the tree outside of my second bedroom window--I know because I can hear it at night quite clearly.  It's soothing as I go to sleep, though, and it's another reason why I'd rather not turn on the A/C if it's not that hot outside.  If I had my camera with me, I'd have taken a picture (and probably freaked the poor frog out, who would have joined a human contact survivors group and been all like AND THEN THE CREATURE POINTED A SQUARE THING AT ME AND THERE WAS THIS BRIGHT LIGHT AND I SAW ONLY PINK AND LIME GREEN DOTS FOR THE NEXT 10 MINUTES.  I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A LIME IS BUT I KNOW THAT GREEN WAS ITS COLOR.  And all of the other frogs would have been like, YOU'RE DELUSIONAL and that frog would have set up a website and a newsletter about how the tall things are part of a conspiracy).

So, you know, probably a good thing I didn't do that.

Probably also a good thing these things haven't made it onto my balcony.  My cat would throw herself through the screen to get them and be all like OH YES FROGS LEGS ITS MAH FAVORITE YUM.  My cat's a sweetheart unless you're small enough for her to hunt or you're a small dog or another cat.  In which case, she will mess you up.

3 comments:

  1. :D I love this post! :) Their call is rather nice, I agree. Bless. I hear barn owls at night, also my cat yowling at next door's cat. :) It's because he's "well hard", even though he has a good ten years on the other cat!

    P.S. You should get crickets. Then they will come to your party too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a funny chick, Pamela!

    My favorite beastie are the wood-doves that coo in the pines outside my bedroom window. For some reason their coo just relaxes me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post, Pamela. (Since I don't cook, I guess that's not a surprise!)

    ReplyDelete