Monday, April 9, 2012

Mexican Lasagna

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine came over for dinner and I made this.  There are all sorts of recipes for Mexican lasagna on the internet.  Some call for flour tortillas, some call for corn tortillas, some actually call for lasagna noodles.  Think of it as a layered casserole.

I used flour tortillas; ground beef that I'd cooked and canned cooked in crushed tomatoes seasoned with garlic, onions, chili powder, cayenne pepper, chopped jalapenos, and cumin.  I lightly sprayed the bottom of a baking pan, laid down three tortillas, and spread some of the beef and tomato mixture on it.  I sprinkled some shredded cheese on top of that, added another tortilla layer, and repeated the process.  I put cheese and salsa on the top layer of tortillas, and baked them at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes.  After taking them out, I garnished them with cilantro.

I had gone a little light on the spice, but I think I could have kicked it up a notch.  Probably next time I'll add a couple of teaspoons of chili and cayenne pepper.

You could replace the beef with beans or refried beans (or TVP if that's your thing).

The leftovers made for a tasty lunch the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment