Thursday, March 1, 2012

Pretty, pretty things

I had made this years ago.  This was so easy.  I'm pretty sure many of you have done similar things.

This was a vase I got somehow (I manage to come into vases, oddly enough).  You could do the same thing with an old fishbowl or any simple glass container or bowl. 

I like to go to the beach, even (maybe especially) in the off season.  You'll see me there in the early fall and the spring, walking along the water and collecting rocks and generally enjoying the salt air, sunshine, and lack of sun-worshippers.  (I do go in the summers as well.  I'm the translucent chick slathering herself with SPF 1,575.)  I had collected all of the rocks and sea glass in this at the beach I went to (it's about an hour from my house). 

The sand did not come from there--I got it at a craft store for under a buck--I think it was probably fifty cents or something?  You could also get seashells and shiny polished rocks there if you don't have access to the beach.  I washed the rocks off and allowed them to dry very thoroughly before I put them in there, just in case there were any type of critters on them.  I can't remember where I got that candle holder--they are in craft stores and are pretty inexpensive--but you can also use a votive holder or small glass.  If you're not sure about the strength of the glass or if it can take the heat from a flame, use an LED candle like I did.  I also have used regular candles with this and it worked fine.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, that looks beautiful! :) We have a few beachy finds as ornaments too. I think it's a given in our neck of the woods!

    I think the glass looks really nice in with the rocks. I love the way that the ocean takes a piece of broken glass and shapes it into something safe and pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's lovely! I will try that sometime.

    ReplyDelete