Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Lebanese red lentil soup

I have found it very useful to go to recipe sites--like allrecipes.com--and plug in a few things I have onhand into their search box to see what comes up.  I found this recipe for Lebanese red lentil soup, and I am not exaggerating when I say that it was a bowl of heaven.  HEAVEN, I TELL YOU.

Basically, take a pound of red lentils (not the usual brown ones you see in the store, but the orange-colored smaller ones), bring to a boil in six cups of chicken or vegetable stock, and then allow to simmer for twenty minutes.  Sautee garlic and onion over medium heat in a separate skillet for about three minutes (the onion should be translucent).  Stir this into the lentils, add cumin and cayenne pepper, and simmer for ten more minutes.  Puree with stick blender (or in a regular blender), and stir in 3/4 cup lemon juice and chopped cilantro.  Delicious.

I didn't have cilantro on hand, so I used some dried parsley as a garnish which worked just as well.  If you hate cilantro, I'm sure fresh parsley would be just as good.  Myself, I like cilantro (it does taste like soap to me but I'm kind of fascinated by it) and will use it the next time I make this.

No comments:

Post a Comment