Saturday, March 17, 2012

A day of thanks

My ancestry is a lot of Irish and a bunch of other things, some that you wouldn't necessarily think just to look at me.  But I did learn about the famine in Ireland and what drove people to emigrate to other places, including the U.S.

I learned something in my forays on the intertubes today--during the Irish Famine that sent so many Irish people abroad (including here), the Ottomans helped out the people, as did the Choctaws in the US. The Choctaws remembered their own days of starvation on the Trail of Tears, which is why they raised funds to help the Irish. As much as I love the fact that we have so many things from so many cultures, it says something that the people who were were horribly brutalized--the Trail of Tears was one of many gruesome and horrible atrocities visited on Native Americans--stepped up to the plate to help people so far away. Sultan Abdülmecid of the Ottoman Empire pledged and sent thousands of pounds to help.

Learn something new every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment