Monday, February 13, 2012

Sweetheart Chocolate Cupcakes

Sweetheart Chocolate Cupcakes--with and without frosting
Ha! Do you like the name I gave to these?  The recipe is from my Nana--my father's mother--it was her cake recipe.  It's actually supposed to be baked in a tube cake pan, and that's the way I usually do it, but I found these heart-shaped cupcake tins and what can I say? I gave in to an impulse buy.

This cake is very dense and very chocolaty.  I used a recipe for chocolate buttercream frosting.  I usually use a different frosting recipe but I figured I'd give something new a try.

Nana's recipe is called "Fudge Cake."  I'm accustomed to very light, spongy cupcakes so this was a bit of a surprise for me, even though I know full well what her cake tastes like.  It's ironic, because the first time she made cake for us, I didn't much like it.  I was a kid and I was used to cake mix cake, which was much lighter and more spongy than this.  But as I grew older I found I liked denser desserts like this.  I got the recipe from my mother and started to bake this for my and my father's birthdays (we celebrate together as our birthdays are ten days apart).  My father loves this cake. He grew up on this cake.


I think next time I make cupcakes I'll try spongier recipe and see which one I prefer.  If you like a rich chocolate dessert, however, these cupcakes--or the regular cake (which is heavenly) is a good bet.  It is a very rich and dense cake, so a strong cup of coffee or cappuccino would go well with it, or a tall, ice-cold glass of milk.  I'm a big tea drinker, but this is not well-paired with tea.  This cake begs for strong coffee.

My Nana made excellent chocolate cake and apple pies.  Her apple pies were legendary.  My mother learned how she did it and her pies became legendary as well.  Ironically, I did not like apple pie until I was a teenager.  I was very distinctly anti-pie.  I preferred my mother's sour cream coffee cake.  Now I love both things so Christmas and Thanksgiving are now known as Sugar Coma Holidays from Hell.

Anyway, here's the recipe.

Fudge Cake

6 squares of chocolate
6 tablespoons of butter
1 cup of boiling water
2 cups of sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla
2 eggs
1/2 cup sour milk (add 2 teaspoons of vinegar to regular milk)
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking soda
2 cups of flour
1/2 teaspoon of salt

Melt the chocolate and butter together over hot water or a low burner.  Add boiling water and mix thoroughly.  Take off the burner, place in a mixing bowl.  Add sugar and mix well.  Add well-beaten eggs and stir until very well mixed.  Mix baking soda and salt into the flour; add this alternately with the sour milk to the wet ingredient and mix very well.  Pour into a greased cake pan.  Bake one hour at 350 degrees if baking a regular cake, bake a half hour if baking cupcakes or a layer cake.  Cake is done when a toothpick insterted in the middle comes out clean.

Spread the frosting of your choice on this once it is cooled.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. "Sugar Coma Holidays from Hell"....lol...too funny. That looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's awesome. Haven't ever seen heart shaped cupcake tins before. It's perfect for valentine's holiday. Where did you get them? The cupcakes look so adorable. They would be perfect with some buttercream icing and candy or chocolate on top. A simple, but great recipe for today. Thanks for sharing. Have a happy valentines's day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hee. . .glad you like them, PP. One is more than enough!

    Holiday Recipes, I got the tins from the Christmas Tree Shops. I've also seen similar tins (for a little more money) at Target.

    ReplyDelete