Monday, February 27, 2012

Moroccan Style Lamb

The one thing I would refuse to give up in my kitchen is my slow cooker.  I could give up a lot of things, but not that.  I do not use it when I'm at work--my job is over an hour away, so I'm not comfortable with that thing going for 12 hours unsupervised by anyone (unless you count my cat, which I don't.).  However, I use it all the time on the weekends, especially when I have people over for dinner.  It really saves me a lot of work, makes my place smell fantastic, and allows me to relax and hang out with my guests instead of rush around to get dinner ready.

I recently made Moroccan Style Lamb, one of my favorite things to make in the crockpot.  I got the recipe from Crockery: Dinners (Great Recipes Collection), which has been my go-to source for good crockpot meal recipes for years now.   This is an easy dish to make, and it the spices (cumin and turmeric) will have your home smelling like heaven.

You basically take 2 pounds of boneless lamb that's trimmed and cut into stew meat, add it to a mixture of two peeled and sliced carrots, 2 peeled and quartered onions, 2 cups of chicken broth, 3 chopped tomatoes and spices (1 1/2 teaspoons of ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon of ground turmeric, and a 1/4 teaspoon or more of crushed red pepper if you want it a bit spicy).  Cook for 9-10 hours on low or 4 1/2-5 1/2 hours on high.  Take out the meat and vegetables and place in a platter, add a package of cous-cous, turn the crockpot up to high if it was on low, add some raisins or currants if you'd like, and add some turmeric.  Let the couscous cook.  Place some couscous on your plate, and put the lamb and vegetable on the couscous.  Eat.

It really is that simple.  It's delicious and no trouble at all to make, and it looks really fancy.  And the leftovers are really, really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment