Monday, February 6, 2012

Last minute soup

I was under the weather earlier this week--tired and a little run down. I needed to eat something, I needed something comforting and a little light, and I thought soup would do the trick. I had to go to the grocery store to pick up a few things and I thought to myself, Eh, I'll just pick up a soup mix or a can of soup instead of defrost the soup I have in the freezer. Of course, I came home and realized that I completely forgot to get the soup. So I did the next best thing. I took a jar of home-canned chicken stock (you can also use store-bought chicken or vegetable stock), added about 2-3 teaspoons of garlic granules, a teaspoon or so of oregano, a teaspoon of thyme, some salt (I wouldn't go over a teaspoon) and about a teaspoon of pepper (go lighter on this if you're not into spice). I had a bag of mixed vegetables in the freezer--carrots, cut string beans, peas, lima beans. I also added the remainders of a bag of peas in the freezer (it was a couple of tablespoons) and the remainders of a bag of frozen corn (it was about a 1/4 of a cup). I put in a couple of bay leaves, brought it to a boil, and let it simmer for about 15 minutes. I have to say, it was quite tasty. The thing I liked about this was that I could use whatever was onhand and it would be ready relatively quickly. No, it's not fantastic gourmet stuff but when I want something comforting and quick, it does the job. It's also versatile. Use premade stock and you're good to go. Put in whatever odd and ends you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment