Thursday, January 26, 2012

Peppers

Back in October, Steve had a great post about preserving hot peppers.  I saw a package of them for a decent price--not as good as the price he got, but a decent price--and I thought it would be a good opportunity to try his technique.  I suggest you stop by, read, and give it a whirl.  I also suggest you enjoy the photo on his blog, since he's a professional photographer and takes painstaking care to make sure every shot turns out right. 

So I won't rehash his technique--you can swing by and see it for yourself--but I'll say that this has been extraordinarily useful.  I can throw in a tablespoon or two into a crockpot of chili, throw a little into a stir-fry, use this when I make Moong Dal or Curried Lentils with Potatoes, or use it in soups or main dishes if I want to add a little extra kick.  It's also good in dips and salsa.

In fact, one thing I found with Moong Dal is that it can be a bit mild after all of the cooking; stirring in some chopped hot peppers to taste will kick it up a notch, and when you have them ready to go in the fridge it makes things much easier. 

I'm planning what I'll grow this summer and I think hot peppers (jalapenos, habeneros, red chilies) are definitely on the list.  Go, on rodents.  TAKE A BITE, I DARE YOU.

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever heard of the Dorset naga? I learned about it at the Eden Project recently - it is the hottest pepper in the world and you would require hospital treatment after eating it. Why do people even breed these things?!

    I can't do hot food. I can eat a "medium" curry, but that's about it. My dad used to drink a nip of tabasco sauce. I tried a little drop on my tongue once and it burned for HOURS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I wrote about Naga peppers: http://feralhomemaking.blogspot.com/2011/12/one-thing-ill-never-cook-for-my-friends.html.

    There's a local restaurant that sponsors hell week, where they serve a pasta made with those infernal things.

    ReplyDelete