Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year's Dinner

Overall, this was a win.
I spent this New Year's Eve at my friend Dan's house--it was the three of us (including Steve).  Steve and I did the cooking--ironically, I did the vegetarian dish and Steve did the meat dish, and Steve's the one who's vegetarian.

A good vegetarian casserole.
The dish I made was a polenta, rainbow chard, and white bean casserole.  It's actually quite easy to make--make the polenta with milk and water, throw in some garlic powder and basil and asiago cheese, and allow it to set.  Carmelize two sliced onions, the sautee some garlic and the chard; add the beans and allow to heat through.  Place these things on top of the polenta and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minues.

Soup from heaven.
Steve's chicken was heavenly--he stuffed the breasts with a fig jam and gruy√®re cheese, rolled them in panko breadcrumbs, and baked them.  He also made a minestrone soup that was to die for--he used a Turkish bay leaf (and shared his bay leaf booty with me, many thanks, Steve!), and a lot of vegetables.  It was very substantial.  That was a meal in itself. 

The sauce that went on this was delicious.
We did have in action one of those near-fails.  I say near-fail because the sauce Steve prepared was fantastic--a mushroom and lemon bechamel sauce.  He made stuffing to eat the sauce with, but left it at home.  Steve likes to beat himself up about these things (dude, I warned you.  I am totally going to bust your chops about this).  I told him that if nothing else, we'll have a good story to tell.  While Steve was cursing himself, I swiped some bread from the fridge; I tore it into pieces, added some herbs, and fried it in a skillet in a little olive oil.  The verdict?  Well, Steve's sauce was good.  My improvised stuffing?  A funny story to tell.  Next time, I'll just toast the bread and skip the fancy-pants stuff.

It was a nice, mellow night which is what I needed because I have (yet again) another sinus infection (thought thankfully, seems to be on the mend).  It's hard to engage in revelry when your eyesockets hurt.

3 comments:

  1. It was fun. How did you spend your New Year's Eve, Naz and PP?

    ReplyDelete