Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Tea snobbery

I have learned something about myself through this blog.  No, not that I'm a huge attention hog--that's something I've known about myself for years.  Heck, just ask my folks about that, it's legendary.

No, I've written a couple of posts about my manufactured snobbery.  And I've realized that I've been horrifically snobby in weird ways pretty much all of my life.  One of the weird ways I've been snobby is through tea.

We already know my views on coffee and food.  However, did you know that I'm insufferable when it comes to tea?  It's true.  Granted, if I'm lean bank-balance wise, I'll buy the very inexpensive stuff but then I end up doubling up the tea bags.  I used to only use loose leaf tea, but then I was far too interested in brewing and drinking an entire pot of tea.  Then it grew to two.  Then three. . .when I was regarding sleep as just an option I could take or leave, I realized I'd have to go to herbal for a while.  But a good black tea is just so delicious.

I never used to order tea if I went out to eat, because up until 15 years ago, restaurants only served one brand of tea.  And that brand, if it was honestly named, would have been "Soggy cardboard shavings."  I'd get coffee, because I am no coffee connesieur.  Now most places have decent teas available.  (Though your average diner does not have PG Tips.  Come on.  PG Tips are just bags of caffinated heaven.)

I will not drink tea out of a thick mug. I prefer to drink it out of something thinner--a more delicate mug or cup, though a cup and saucer is best.  I have several cups and saucers (they used to be my nana's).  I'd bring one to work but I'd hate to have it break on me there.

For me, it's not just about the tea itself, though that's certainly a big part of it.  It's the experience.  If I'm by my lonesome, I'll have it out of one of my thinner cups/mugs.  But sometimes I'll have it in the delicate cup and saucer.  It feels a lot more festive.  And I tend to feel a lot more civilized.

But don't ever take me for a Victorian wanna-be.  I don't take kindly to corsets, disenfranchisement, slavery, or child labor.

3 comments:

  1. I don't need the fine china, but there's definitely a big difference between good tea and not good tea. I stocked up last time I visited the East Coast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell the difference, but then again I only started drinking tea about two years ago. I went to Kenya on a university field trip (best trip everrrr! :D) and the water was so chlorinated that I had to start drinking tea to disguise the taste!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you are a snob at all. I think you know what you like, and like it THAT way.

    There's is something to having the right food/beverage eaten/drunk with the right china/glass/utensil, etc. Somehow, port tastes better in a port glass. Sometimes this is due to design and sometimes it's just how it looks and feels. It is a way to set a mood that accentuates the food itself by preparing the diner for the taste, but first appealing to the eye and touch, before taste.

    ReplyDelete